A general question re P3D

For all topics that don't fit into another category. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be responded to by our development team.
Richstacy

A general question re P3D

Postby Richstacy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:09 pm

I have about 2500 hours in FSX, mostly general aviation, payware add-ons. I am just trying to scope P3D out to decide If I want to leave FSX and come over to P3D. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

nealmac

Re: A general question re P3D

Postby nealmac » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:16 am

So......what's your question?
Best Regards,

Neal McCullough.

Richstacy

Postby Richstacy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:24 pm

Sorry if I was not clear. I merely want advice as to whether to quit FSX and go to P3D or not.

Randy L.

Postby Randy L. » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:17 pm

Rich,
I can only offer a personal opinion. I have at least as much time in FSX (and all previous versions of MS Flight Simulator) as you do. I have been using P3D for the last several years. In my opinion P3D is currently the best product for the price. It looks better, it flies better, and it has better performance than FSX (again, this is in my own opinion).
P3D does take a hefty computer to perform at its best though. P3D really needs a fast CPU, a good video card, and lots of memory as well.
If you have an older computer, and you are satisfied with FSX, then I would say stay with what you have. The problem with FSX going forward though is that it very probably won't be supported by Microsoft the way that P3D is supported by Lockheed Martin. And I imagine that most software vendors will be creating more and more content for P3D rather than FSX in the future.
So I would say that if you have (or you plan to buy/build) a fast computer with a good video system and lots of memory, then by all means get P3D. You won't be disappointed. If you have an older, slower computer and are satisfied with FSX then keep it.

The specs on my computer that is running P3D v4 are:
Processor - Intel Core i7 5930K 4.0 GHz
Video Card - nVidia GeForce GTX 980 4GB DDR5 - DX - 11
Memory - 32GB - 2400MHz - DDR4
Hard Drive - Micron M600 SSD 512 GB /Data Drive - Micron M600 SSD 512GB

This system is about 3 years old, but it gives me perfectly acceptable performance in P3D.

I hope this was helpful.

Return to “Miscellaneous”