P3Dv5 FPS Drop in all planes

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
fantratic

P3Dv5 FPS Drop in all planes

Postby fantratic » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:30 am

Good day everyone! I would first like to provide my specs.

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2678 V3 @2.50 GHz
GPU: NVIDIA Quadro P5000 (Equivalence to a NVIDIA GeForce 1080ti)
Ram: 12GB

Secondly, I would like to give my issue. My issue is, as explained in the title. I have FPS in every plane I fly, even default.
  • In PMDG 737,747,777, before, I got 35-40 FPS, now I get 20-25 FPS, huge drop.
    In Aerosoft A330, I got 25-30 FPS, now I get 10-17 FPS.
    In Aerosoft A320 professional I had 25-35 FPS, now I get 20FPS.
    In Qualitywings I get 30+ FPS both before and now.
    In default fighterjet, I got 40 FPS, now I get 20 FPS.
    In Default Cessna I got 80, now I get 40 FPS.
Here's what I've tried:
  • https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 2&t=138770 (this dropped my fps, and I reverted back to it and the same fps drop reoccured)
    I've updated my PC to windows 2004, not only did windows defender delete some system32 files, but it slowed my entire PC down, it was like a potato PC.
    I've also tried disabling/reenabling addons. The error still occurred.
I really want to start flying with good FPS again, and I can't while my FPS have a huge impact with itself, espeically on landing, and especially when I'm not used to these FPS.

I will appreciate all help I get, and even if it didn't fix the problem, it was not only worth the time, but you probably helped my PC out a bit. Thank you guys so much!

JorgenSA

Re: P3Dv5 FPS Drop in all planes

Postby JorgenSA » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:11 am

Your basic problem is here:

2.50 GHz

This is below the minimum requirement for P3D v. 5, which you will find here:

https://www.prepar3d.com/system-requirements/

And yes, I know it's a Xeon, which is probably why v. 5 runs at all at that clock rate.

So, what can you do (short of getting another computer)? I would look into what the Affinity Mask value for this CPU should be (you can google "AffinityMask Calculator"), and then create an entry in your Prepar3D.cfg, like this:

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=xx

where xx of course is the value you calculated.

Also, and this is going to sound like a contradiction, limit your frame rate! Either in Prepar3D.cfg, or in the nVidia Control Panel - I personally find the Control Panel limit gives a smoother experience. Try to set the frame rate initially to, say, 40, and then experiment up or down. Mine is set at 30, because that's the maximum frame rate your eye can see anyway.

On frame rates in general, try to read this:

https://flightsimeindhoven.com/2014/03/ ... se-of-fps/

Jorgen
System: i7-7700K @ 4.66 GHz, ASUS Z170-A motherboard, 16 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM, nVidia GTX 960 w/ 4 GB DDR5 VRAM, Windows 10 Home.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.

fantratic

Postby fantratic » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:43 am

Ah, Thanks! It's overclocked to 3.5 GHz, but it's not acting right for some reason.

fantratic

Postby fantratic » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:44 am

Your basic problem is here:

2.50 GHz

This is below the minimum requirement for P3D v. 5, which you will find here:

https://www.prepar3d.com/system-requirements/

And yes, I know it's a Xeon, which is probably why v. 5 runs at all at that clock rate.

So, what can you do (short of getting another computer)? I would look into what the Affinity Mask value for this CPU should be (you can google "AffinityMask Calculator"), and then create an entry in your Prepar3D.cfg, like this:

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=xx

where xx of course is the value you calculated.

Also, and this is going to sound like a contradiction, limit your frame rate! Either in Prepar3D.cfg, or in the nVidia Control Panel - I personally find the Control Panel limit gives a smoother experience. Try to set the frame rate initially to, say, 40, and then experiment up or down. Mine is set at 30, because that's the maximum frame rate your eye can see anyway.

On frame rates in general, try to read this:

https://flightsimeindhoven.com/2014/03/ ... se-of-fps/

Jorgen
But my thing is, it's never done this before, no matter the GHz. I've always had 30+ in each plane. while streaming as well.

JorgenSA

Postby JorgenSA » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:52 am

There could be several things going on, like "stuff" running in the background stealing CPU cycles. Plus, of course when you add add-ons, they can start demanding resources also.

Some things I have done on my system is to uninstall a lot of the apps that Microsoft "provides" with Win 10, and install the free O&O Shutup software to cut down of Microsoft's spying on you. Then I have also disabled some services that I will never need, but that are turned on by default, like Xbox and telephony services.

Jorgen
System: i7-7700K @ 4.66 GHz, ASUS Z170-A motherboard, 16 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM, nVidia GTX 960 w/ 4 GB DDR5 VRAM, Windows 10 Home.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.

fantratic

Postby fantratic » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:01 am

Only addon I have enabled is Activesky. Can you give more details on the xbox stuff? What did you do? Maybe it'll help me.

JorgenSA

Postby JorgenSA » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:33 am

This is where it becomes potentially dangerous, if you don't know what you are doing.

There is a video available on YouTube on this, by Britec09 - I don't recall the title, but it is on stopping unnecessary Windows services. He also has some other videos on tweaking Windows, and on general Windows maintenance.

Jorgen

fantratic

Postby fantratic » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:07 pm

This is where it becomes potentially dangerous, if you don't know what you are doing.

There is a video available on YouTube on this, by Britec09 - I don't recall the title, but it is on stopping unnecessary Windows services. He also has some other videos on tweaking Windows, and on general Windows maintenance.

Jorgen
Got it, ill take a look, and be cautious on this.

fantratic

Postby fantratic » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:30 pm

Jorgen
Sadly this didn't work, I tried his optimization performance video and it still has poor fps. I dont limit in P3D cus the FPS drops as well. I limited in NVIDIA Control Panel and thats what I'm doing.

Return to “Prepar3D Client Application Questions”