P3D Support in the future

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
choppa

Re: P3D Support in the future

Postby choppa » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:49 am

I was a Alpha/Beta tester for the new MSFS2020. I am sticking to P3D, I have invested so much money into this sim that unless LM pulls the pin, I am staying put. I posted elsewhere...wouldn't it be fanbloodytastic if LM teamed up with Google Earth etc etc.
Worth waiting for. The MSFS forum is so full of contradictory posts that I got a headache reading them. One minute it is the best thin since sliced bread, next thing they are asking for a refund. I am still under the NDA so my hands are tied.
I was having the usual Hang up with V5...but after updating my Geforce and Windows drivers things seem to have settled down....TOUCH WOOD!!!!! Just hope I haven't shot myself in the foot or its back to V4.5....thank goodness I have kept it on my SSD, just in case. Just for the record I am a GA pilot.

Blaunarwal

Postby Blaunarwal » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:45 pm

I have V5 HF2 installed and I added some addons and flew with it. But the next start it crashed again during startup. Since then I never touched it again. I don't have time to search problems. I fly with a stable 4.5 HF3. That makes more fun. Now MSFS is here but I wait, until the loading times have become normal and maybe some fixes are out. I guess, this platform also has teething troubles. I already wait for dissapointed feedbacks. I have now seen, that the world although complete, has very simple buildings compared to the reality. MS did not design accurate skyscrapers for the major cities of this world. This will be done by ORBX and others. I wonder, if 3rd party developers and MS made an agreement to let these companies be part of the market. Generally I don't like, that I have to pay again and again. So this flightsim addiction cost me a lot the last 30 years, especially the last 10 years, when everything went from freeware to commercial addons.

What I mind most with V5 is, it was not just an update I could put over my hundreds of addons. I'd have to check everyone, if it works in V5. Great is ORBX, which made it very easy to transfer everything. But regarding other addons, I could also take the plunge and start from scratch with MSFS.

LM never really listened to the users, who wanted a better ATC or a modern and better UI. Everything is still like FSX. Yes some minor details changed, but not really innovative changes. I still have to wait a minute until the aircraft list shows up. I still have still no internal scenery management, to avoid long loading times. All things have been asked LM a thousend times.
Instead they gave us DX12 and bent runways in V5. Ok, that's needed to compete with MSFS. But the MS guys promise to listen to the users. For me, V5 is not working and not as promising like MSFS.
V4.5 is a good sim, which has the advantage like FSX had, to remain untouched in future. It's a stable platform. It is to fly.

Dan
i7- 9700K @ 5.0 GHz, 32 GB DDR-4 SDRAM, ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F, KFA2 GeForce RTX 3090 SG 1-Click OC (24GB)

kahngrotbo

Postby kahngrotbo » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:31 pm

I only use ORBX, UTLive, GSX and Active Sky. They all seemed to work fine in V5 for me but my issues were with the crashes in V5. I think V5 has some serious potential though.

JorgenSA

Postby JorgenSA » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:41 pm

Dan, I agree (to a degree) with you on v. 5 vs. v. 4.

But let me tell you something - in v. 4, from the moment I start the sim (v. 4 is on a SSD) it takes over an hour before I get to the aircraft selection.

In v. 5 (even on a HDD at present), it takes 4 minutes! I would think that is a significant positive difference. Granted, not everyone runs around with around 7,600 AI flight plans, but anyway.....

And then you said this: "But the MS guys promise to listen to the users" - if you look at the MSFS2020 support forums, that is a promise that was broken badly, to say the least. Comments here in our own furms indicate the same.

If I was a betting man, I think I would give you 3 to 1 on P3D prevailing over MSFS in the future.

The worst comments I saw on MSFS2020 were several people calling it an "arcade game".....

Jorgen
System: i7-7700K @ 4.66 GHz, ASUS Z170-A motherboard, 16 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM, nVidia GTX 960 w/ 4 GB DDR5 VRAM, Windows 10 Home.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.

Blaunarwal

Postby Blaunarwal » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:16 pm

Dan, I agree (to a degree) with you on v. 5 vs. v. 4.

But let me tell you something - in v. 4, from the moment I start the sim (v. 4 is on a SSD) it takes over an hour before I get to the aircraft selection.

In v. 5 (even on a HDD at present), it takes 4 minutes! I would think that is a significant positive difference. Granted, not everyone runs around with around 7,600 AI flight plans, but anyway.....

And then you said this: "But the MS guys promise to listen to the users" - if you look at the MSFS2020 support forums, that is a promise that was broken badly, to say the least. Comments here in our own furms indicate the same.

If I was a betting man, I think I would give you 3 to 1 on P3D prevailing over MSFS in the future.

The worst comments I saw on MSFS2020 were several people calling it an "arcade game".....

Jorgen
I know why your V5 is faster booting up than V4. You don´t have all addons added yet :-)))

LM did in fact improve on loading a bit, forgot to mention that. But my P3D5 installation, when it managed to start with my AIG AI and ORBX already took as long as P3D4.5, with a lot more aircraft and sceneries I don´t have yet installed in V5.

This was a big dissappointment of V5 too. First it was so rocket fast (as every new and virgin sim), but soon it was the same like before. They made something, but did not get the problem on the source. After 10 years in business, they should know, it´s all about the addons.

The promise that has been broken yet with MSFS is I think the expectations, that some people had. I looked at pictures today of MSFS. All these buildings are pretty raw. It is more complete, but far from perfect. So it does not look better than P3D4.5 in a scenery area. The only advantage is, if you want to fly on a place no one ever heard of, you will have a scenery, where P3D is not very interesting. Have a look at SEII, Isabella. That´s nothing but a runway and jungle.

But listen to user starts right now, not in the alpha and beta phases of the msfs product. I´m here on this forum for 8 years now and I have no more expectations on LM. We (academic) are not the aim user group of this company. So we already know Microsoft. They are also not listening. They sit in their cloud and don´t see what the problems are. Asebo maybe is allowed to drive their own user relationship.
i7- 9700K @ 5.0 GHz, 32 GB DDR-4 SDRAM, ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F, KFA2 GeForce RTX 3090 SG 1-Click OC (24GB)

Ebertr

Postby Ebertr » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:35 pm

MSFS is a ARCADE game. I will stay with P3D.

Ruediger

Aussie1234

Postby Aussie1234 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:51 pm

At the moment, with my hardware 737 cockpit and Prosim I am staying with V4.5HF3. (Active Sky, REX, Orbx, AIG)
I looked at P3d V5 but balked at paying AUD $300 for an upgrade that many people could not get working.

I have purchased the top deluxe whatever MSFS (for AUD $179) and have been testing it. It looks nice but I can't even get a view without the cockpit, plus it does not support multi screens. Assigning controls are a nightmare. At least I have tried it.

So here I am back at v4.5 and loving it. My 4 screen 210 degree View Group looks great. Simconnect and FSUIPC provides a great interface.

Hopefully, Version 5 will be fixed to be as stable as v4.5. (too many pages of issues every day here for me.) Looking forward to more hotfixes (or a Version 5.1). I don't want to spend $300 on something I can't use, or blows out my 8Gb of VRAM.

Happy at the moment

Aussie

Return to “Prepar3D Client Application Questions”