Problems

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Martyson

Re: Problems

Post by Martyson »

Matty21 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:04 pm
Martyson wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:04 pm
Matty21 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:00 pm Can someone confirm if LM provide tools/codes to developers to make addons etc?
@ matty21,

Yes, that is correct.

Earlier you mentioned :
"I’ve spoken to majority of the developers and there saying this vcruntime140 is LM problem"

Did the developers (unknown developers?) tell you they were currently working directly with LM to resolve the problem?
they won’t disclose that information but I would imagine they are
@ Matty21 ,

Who are the developers that you have spoken to that told you they will not disclose that information?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
EllipticCurve

Post by EllipticCurve »

Interesting thread.

I'm a software developer, actively developing products for all versions of FS since FS9, and I can tell you that yes, there are some bugs in the sim, but most of what we are seeing is the result of poor software, or attempts to basically hack the sim to do things outside of the SDK.

There are several big-name developers who do some really weird things with the sim well outside of the SDK, and this is breaking stuff, but they won't admit to doing it because of the fact they are outside of the SDK.

I can take my FSX code, re-compile it against the P3Dv5 SDK, and it will run without any code modification.

The developers having problems are either:

1) Rubbish software developers
2) Working outside of the SDK/hacking the sim to do weird things
3) Run into a genuine problem because they failed to understand something

Enabling the new sky effects in v5 causes the sim to not only change thread priorities, but move which parts of the sim run on which thread.

SimConnect now runs in the same thread as the VC and HDR effects, and I ran into this myself.

In v4.5 and earlier, you can spam the life out of the SimConnect message window, and nothing bad happens.

In v5, with the new sky enabled, if you spam the SC message window, it will lock up the thread and stop the VC and HDR effects working COMPLETELY.

As part of the function call for the SC window you must provide a window life-time (it closes automatically). By spamming it previously it didn't overload the sim, and there are only so many times you can call the function before the sim starts cleaning up the first windows created.

In v5 with the new sky enabled, calling the function at frame rate (NOT the life-time of the window) causes the SC message handler to lock-up, and it kills half the sim.

The solution is to call the SC message window function fewer times per second. This completely solves the issue.

Things are not as they first appear.

I have yet to encounter an actual problem in P3D requiring LM to fix anything, and this is down to how I seperate my systems logic from the sim.
All comments and opinions are my own.
Matty21

Post by Matty21 »

Whilst I’m not pointing fingers gsx does have its issues in itself the developer is one to avoid the problems if like he’s saying gsx is highlighting the fact there’s a problem let’s hope they can figure out what’s what
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

@Matty21,

As I have said before, the developers of GSX are actually some of the serious ones that do work with L-M to get the situation resolved, and the situation with them is at least partly a SimConnect issue, according to what I have read.

@EllipticCurve,

That brings me to another SimConnect issue. Years ago, I bought VRS TacPack for FSX, but when I tried to use it I got the message that I had "over 1,000 SimConnects open", I believe the message was. Can anything be done about that, as far as you know?

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Matty21 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:26 pm Whilst I’m not pointing fingers gsx does have its issues in itself the developer is one to avoid the problems if like he’s saying gsx is highlighting the fact there’s a problem let’s hope they can figure out what’s what
@ Matty21 ,

Who are the developers that you have spoken to that told you they will not disclose that information?
Best Regards,
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Martyson wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:35 pm
Matty21 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:26 pm Whilst I’m not pointing fingers gsx does have its issues in itself the developer is one to avoid the problems if like he’s saying gsx is highlighting the fact there’s a problem let’s hope they can figure out what’s what
@ Matty21 ,

@ @ Matty21 ,

Follow up?
Best Regards,