V5: ATC-windows crash VCRUNTIME140.dll

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
JorgenSA

Re: V5: ATC-windows crash VCRUNTIME140.dll

Post by JorgenSA »

For the JustSim EDDH v. 2, I see that it says v. 5 compatible - but that is as of May 31st, before HF2 came out. What does JustSim say about HF2 compatibility?

As for the Leonardo MD80, it says v. 4 and v. 4.5 compatible, nothing about v. 5 compatible.

This information came up by googling the products and comes from the SimMarket website.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
airbader

Post by airbader »

JorgenSA wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:52 pm For the JustSim EDDH v. 2, I see that it says v. 5 compatible - but that is as of May 31st, before HF2 came out. What does JustSim say about HF2 compatibility?

As for the Leonardo MD80, it says v. 4 and v. 4.5 compatible, nothing about v. 5 compatible.

This information came up by googling the products and comes from the SimMarket website.

Jorgen
Both products are compatible with V5, and scenery is irrelevant to this issue.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

airbader wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:12 pm
JorgenSA wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:52 pm For the JustSim EDDH v. 2, I see that it says v. 5 compatible - but that is as of May 31st, before HF2 came out. What does JustSim say about HF2 compatibility?

Jorgen
But are they compatible with P3Dv5 HF2?
When you are having a problem everything is relevant.

I am still waiting for P3Dv5 HF2 compatible products to install.
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
airbader

Post by airbader »

Martyson wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:36 pm
airbader wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:12 pm

Jorgen
But are they compatible with P3Dv5 HF2?
When you are having a problem everything is relevant.

I am still waiting for P3Dv5 HF2 compatible products to install.
Yes. They are.
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Vaughan is correct, when you have an issue then everything is relevant.

Kindly provide a link where it states that this MD-80 is v. 5 compatible.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
airbader

Post by airbader »

JorgenSA wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:03 am Vaughan is correct, when you have an issue then everything is relevant.

Kindly provide a link where it states that this MD-80 is v. 5 compatible.

Jorgen
It's compatible. They released a V5 installer. Then a HF2 installer.

I've seen this crash with totally different add-ons as well. That's why I'm posting about it here instead of going to one specific add-on developer.
EllipticCurve

Post by EllipticCurve »

kjbersas wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:32 pm Here's what I've done so far:
- Reinstalled latest Nvidia drivers.
- Checked .NET installation (no errors).
- Uninstalled all the old and current C++ Redist versions, then run the FSDT live updater (which installs the required C++ versions).

None of that will help. The software update probably caused you to get a fixed version of the software, or a version that is trashing memory further away from other critical memory regions.

Code: Select all

Unntakskode: 0xc0000005
MEMORY_ACCESS_VIOLATION

It attempted to access memory it does not own, either due to failure to allocate memory before using it, or a bad pointer, or a buffer overflow/underrun. In any case, it is attempting to write to memory not allocated to it.

People must be more careful when writing software.
Last edited by EllipticCurve on Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All comments and opinions are my own.
EllipticCurve

Post by EllipticCurve »

airbader wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:34 pmI've seen this crash with totally different add-ons as well. That's why I'm posting about it here instead of going to one specific add-on developer.

Sadly, many 3rd party developers are poor at writing software.
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

And we are back to what those developers need to do, either:

1. Fix their product, or

2. Refund the customer's money.

Remember that many P3D customers are students that don't have too much money in the first place, and others are retired and suffer the same chronic lack of money. And those developers just provide a faulty product, take the money and don't care about the customer at all?

Jorgen

EllipticCurve

Post by EllipticCurve »

JorgenSA wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:59 pm And we are back to what those developers need to do, either:

1. Fix their product, or

2. Refund the customer's money.

Remember that many P3D customers are students that don't have too much money in the first place, and others are retired and suffer the same chronic lack of money. And those developers just provide a faulty product, take the money and don't care about the customer at all?

Jorgen
Definitely option 1. They learn how to write better software by fixing it, and people get what they paid for.
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

I absolutely agree with option 1.

But to get the developers to go along with that, the customers need to complain to them (loudly) and not here, and it may be necessary to confront them with option 2 to get them off the mark.

Jorgen

kjbersas

Post by kjbersas »

No more CTD's caused by the ATC-window!
The last few weeks I have been testing and testing - A LOT! A very frustrating time, as this CTD has not been consistent.
So what is the fix? It's very hard to point out one thing, as I have been checking many possible causes. But the following items are the most probable to have cured this actual CTD on my PC:

- Enabling the new Windows 10 GPU scheduling feature - https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/5773 ... er-is-out/
- Windows 10 System file check (SFC) - Repaired mscormmc.dll - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... ted-system
- Uninstalling & reinstalling Editvoicepack (less probably the cause).
Kind regards,
Kjell A. (ENVA)
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

What fixed it was probably the repair of mscormmc.dll, this file is described as:

Microsoft .NET Runtime Execution Engine Starter for MMC

which fits precisely into the error description "CRASH VCRUNTIME140.DLL"

Jorgen

airbader

Post by airbader »

kjbersas wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:53 am No more CTD's caused by the ATC-window!
The last few weeks I have been testing and testing - A LOT! A very frustrating time, as this CTD has not been consistent.
So what is the fix? It's very hard to point out one thing, as I have been checking many possible causes. But the following items are the most probable to have cured this actual CTD on my PC:

- Enabling the new Windows 10 GPU scheduling feature - https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/5773 ... er-is-out/
- Windows 10 System file check (SFC) - Repaired mscormmc.dll - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... ted-system
- Uninstalling & reinstalling Editvoicepack (less probably the cause).
I've already done all of this except trying it without EditVoicePack, which is my next step. SFC didn't find anything to repair.
PurdueKev

Post by PurdueKev »

I can add a similar crash to the list:

Faulting application name: Prepar3D.exe, version: 5.0.31.35253, time stamp: 0x5eebf566
Faulting module name: VCRUNTIME140.dll, version: 14.26.28720.3, time stamp: 0x5e74aeb1
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000012de
Faulting process id: 0x40cc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d64f3abf50ae98
Faulting application path: D:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5\Prepar3D.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\VCRUNTIME140.dll
Report Id: 2da27e3d-f8d9-43a5-8787-7ee40b6b1354
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

In my case, I was running Orbx base and openLC, ActiveSky, FSDT CLT (I was flying there from the default airport), and in this case the Aerosoft A320. I have run the .NET troubleshooting steps, and Windows found no errors with the System File Checker. This is on a new installation of HF2 (i.e. not updated from an earlier version).

What makes this incredibly frustrating for users are three things:
1) there is not a consistent pattern to when these types of errors occur; this makes it very difficult and time-consuming to troubleshoot. You can run the same flight twice in the same conditions, and one time you will get a crash and other times you will not.
2) I have been carefully adding addons methodically in order to be able to trace if something is a specific culprit, but because of #1 it makes this incredibly time-consuming to try to chase down issues.
3) here we have a thread going back to MAY 30 that is now up to 4 pages, with multiple users reporting different situations but all with the similar common VCRUNTIME error, and in that month and 4 pages of posts not a single Lockheed Martin employee or support staff has responded to this thread or tried to offer support - only fellow users. That is NOT proper product support. At least an acknowledgement and attempt to assist by L-M staff members would be appreciated.