When will Floating Houses Ever be Fixed ?

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
grpjansen

Re: When will Floating Houses Ever be Fixed ?

Post by grpjansen »

Hi again,

1) I am running P3D V5 HF1, not P3DV4 HF2 - so need to make sure you are running V5 HF1 on your side!!!!
2) I am at the end of the runway which is numbered 30.

Wow - It seems I cannot communicate this error to you clearly at all no matter how hard I try.

So I will give this one more go and here are the specific steps laid out for you that I have followed myself again an a new flight to reproduce the error.

STEP 1: Set-up for the test in P3DV5 HF1
- Have disabled all of my add-ons for the sim. No Orbx, no weather, no SODE, nothing!
- Have deleted the prepar3d.cfg file so it’s the default config generated from scratch.
- Have set up the sim to run with all the detail sliders to the right for maximum detail – this is as follows:

STEP2: Flight preparation
Set up the flight planner between airport 4S1 and KBOK, starting the flight at 4S1.
This will mean you are starting your flight from 4S1 and flying directly south towards KBOK.
Important tip: Suggest you get a GA aircraft rather than a F22 fighter jet as you have done - to make this an apple to apples test. For my test I used a Carenado C182T Skylane, but any GA plane will do.

STEP 3: The flight landing and identifying the floating houses
Fly directly from 4S1 to KBOK and when you come to the KBOK airport come in directly from the North end of the runway, land and taxi to the South end of the runway and you will end up on with number 30 on it.
See my photos.

Once you are there you should be able to clearly see the floating houses.
If not, do an external view outside of the aircraft and rotate around and you will see the houses floating.
It is reproducable for me everytime.

George Jansen
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

George,

In order to establish this as being a P3D v. 5 issue, you'll need to reproduce it with a completely clean, virgin installation of P3D v. 5, that has never had any add-on at all installed to it.

It is not enough to disable your add-ons, because for instance the objects from the add-ons that has been loaded into the object libraries, and the effects that been installed are still there and active.

It is such a virgin installation that I have here, specifically for testing purposes. Since yesterday, I have been flying around over the points where you and Zap737 pointed out that you see floating houses etc., and I have not seen anything of the sort.

I can certainly also understand why you would be reluctant (big understatement!) to uninstall everything and start v. 5 again from the beginning - I know only too well from previous hard disk crashes what kind of work goes into rebuilding a simulator installation. But failing to getting a virgin installation yourself, you'll simply have to trust the word of those who has it.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
zap737

Post by zap737 »

JorgenSA wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 7:48 am George,

In order to establish this as being a P3D v. 5 issue, you'll need to reproduce it with a completely clean, virgin installation of P3D v. 5, that has never had any add-on at all installed to it.

It is not enough to disable your add-ons, because for instance the objects from the add-ons that has been loaded into the object libraries, and the effects that been installed are still there and active.

It is such a virgin installation that I have here, specifically for testing purposes. Since yesterday, I have been flying around over the points where you and Zap737 pointed out that you see floating houses etc., and I have not seen anything of the sort.

I can certainly also understand why you would be reluctant (big understatement!) to uninstall everything and start v. 5 again from the beginning - I know only too well from previous hard disk crashes what kind of work goes into rebuilding a simulator installation. But failing to getting a virgin installation yourself, you'll simply have to trust the word of those who has it.

Jorgen

My post half way down on page one IS A VIRGIN INSTALLATION of P3d V5. Floating houses were the FIRST thing I tested when I loaded the sim. You can tell it's a virgin installation by the ugly default scenery.

The problem exists as I have repeatedly proven. You, and LM will just have to accept it.

So devs, how about you acknowledge and fix the issue.
Asus Z370-A | 8700K @ 5.0 Ghz | 32GB DDR 4 | GTX 1080TI | 4K Monitor @ 30Hz | Samsung 970 EVO | Track IR 5 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Virpil Mongoose Stick | TM Warthog Throttle | MFG X-Wind Rudder Pedals | Orbx Global | Orbx Vector | Orbx OpenLC NA, EU
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

I do not have to accept anything that I haven't seen myself.

In this case, I have not seen the issues you report on my system. Note please that I do not doubt for one second that you do have the issue.

Which only means and proves one thing - you have the issue, and I do not.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
zap737

Post by zap737 »

JorgenSA wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:13 am Which only means and proves one thing - you have the issue, and I do not.

So if you don't have the problem, that's awesome, but those of us with the problem want a solution.

Many others DO have the problem and have documented it - including Rob Ainscough a moderator and beta tester as far back as V2:

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... oad#p38474

It can't be a coincidence.

Oh and look what I found....

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic ... ack#p41798

And V3.2...

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... es#p136301

One thing I'll say about P3d - it's consistent.

Floating houses in V2.

Floating houses in V3.

Floating houses in V4.

Floating houses in V5.
Asus Z370-A | 8700K @ 5.0 Ghz | 32GB DDR 4 | GTX 1080TI | 4K Monitor @ 30Hz | Samsung 970 EVO | Track IR 5 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Virpil Mongoose Stick | TM Warthog Throttle | MFG X-Wind Rudder Pedals | Orbx Global | Orbx Vector | Orbx OpenLC NA, EU
bvdboomen

Post by bvdboomen »

Floating houses indeed is an issue from FSX until now.
I too have them already in V5, flying from Bornemouth to the Isle of Wight and some other places.
It's a very irregular problem but I'm sure technicians can identify what the cause of this is.
zap737

Post by zap737 »

bvdboomen wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 11:20 am Floating houses indeed is an issue from FSX until now.
I too have them already in V5, flying from Bornemouth to the Isle of Wight and some other places.
It's a very irregular problem but I'm sure technicians can identify what the cause of this is.

Thanks for yet another confirmation. The devs have been asked to fix this issue as far back as V2.

But they don’t seem to want to.
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Took off from EGHH Bournemouth, flew east to Isle of Wight, around the island and back to Bournemouth. Houses seen at Bournemouth, but all firmly attached to Terra Firma, nothing floating around in mid-air.

Jorgen

JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

How I create a "virgin" installation for testing:

I have my P3D v. 5 on my G: drive, a HDD that I use otherwise for downloading to. It is in a folder called P3D v5.

The creation process begins with the uninstallation of the old version: first uninstall SDK, then Scenery, Content, Client and Professional Plus in that order. Remove whatever remains under folder P3D v5, usually only a folder named SDK.

Go to Documents, remove the two P3D v5 folders with Addons and Files from there. Go to the C: drive, under Program Data\Lockheed Martin remove Prepar3D v5 folder from there. Remove the similar folders under Users\<My name>\AppData\Local and \Roaming.

Now to root of C: drive, search for Prepar3D v5 in Windows Explorer. Delete what is found. Empty Temp folders.

Clean Registry, using Eusing Free Registry Cleaner, then the Registry cleaning option in Ccleaner (free version).

Reboot.

Install version to test as Administrator. Under P3D v5, create folder SDK, install SDK to there. Configure SDK, change P3D itself to run as Administrator.

Start P3D, fly default flight out of KRND for a couple of minutes. Shut down P3D, reboot.

Now we can test whatever needs to be tested.....

Jorgen

Martyson

Post by Martyson »

KBOK with Add-ons and without Add-ons enabled (screenshot).

Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
Mike Sierra

Post by Mike Sierra »

zap737 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:20 am
JorgenSA wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:13 am Which only means and proves one thing - you have the issue, and I do not.

So if you don't have the problem, that's awesome, but those of us with the problem want a solution.

Many others DO have the problem and have documented it - including Rob Ainscough a moderator and beta tester as far back as V2:

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... oad#p38474

It can't be a coincidence.

Oh and look what I found....

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic ... ack#p41798

And V3.2...

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... es#p136301

One thing I'll say about P3d - it's consistent.

Floating houses in V2.

Floating houses in V3.

Floating houses in V4.

Floating houses in V5.
That's why I'm personally not sure that it's a genuine P3D issue, but maybe more a problem of scenery or mesh add-ons.
One 'problem' - at leat for me as a user - is that I install a clean P3D (no matter which major version), do a number of short default flights, until I've re-set my personal settings. And at least when I start installing my add-on sceneries (Flight's 2020 mesh and, nearly exclusively, OrbX global and local sceneries) I start flying in my preferred (mountainous) regions, defining my personal 'default flight'. Default flights in P3D are located in flat areas - there are no flying houses. You will find them in elevated, mountainous regions, e.g. Norway, the Rockies, the Alps, etc...
Has anyone tried P3D THERE without add-ons? I confess, I didn't (maybe 'yet'), but I'd rather ignore floating buildings and dwell in P3D plus add-ons....
Michael.
N 48°10' E 13°30' 496m
Austria, Europe
-vv-
ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula, I9-9900KF, 8x 5,0GHz, Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4-4400, 2x ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 (SLI) @ 7680x1440, Win10prof64 on 1TB SSD, P3Dv5.3.7... on Samsung M.2 2TB, Saitek cockpit
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

LSMM Meiringen should be good enough for mountainous flights, I believe.

So I took the trusty F-35A and ran around between the mountains, good thing this was in the simulator. Several airfields noted on the valley floors, but no houses floating around....

Jorgen

zap737

Post by zap737 »

Mike Sierra wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 11:59 am That's why I'm personally not sure that it's a genuine P3D issue, but maybe more a problem of scenery or mesh add-ons.
One 'problem' - at leat for me as a user - is that I install a clean P3D (no matter which major version), do a number of short default flights..

It is a P3D issue. I have tested with a clean install of P3d in every version and floating houses is the FIRST thing I test for before ANY add-ons are installed.

The issue is there every time as shown half way down on page one of this thread...
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

@zap737,

What do you see (a screenshot) KBOK rw12 or 30 (looking aft)?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

@zap737, I quote:

"It is a P3D issue."

If it really is an issue with P3D, then why don't I see it - anywhere? If it really is a P3D issue, then every single user of P3D will see it, no exceptions - and they do not.

Jorgen