[P3Dv4.5HF2] DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
integrofan

[P3Dv4.5HF2] DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG

Postby integrofan » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:08 pm

Hello,

i got since Sunday the following Error-Message:
This device (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti) stopped working for the following reason: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG. Do you want to exit Prepar3D? Click Yes to exit, No to disable rendering to this device, or Cancel to keep using this device (Prepar3D may crash).
https://gyazo.com/e0e74e71bba6f9627bb1c520aefddc69

I make Saturday a few flights whitout problems. Then on Sunday i got this error, after i loaded into the Sim and standing a few minutes at the Gate.

Message came on different Airports (ORBX Stockholm, JustSim ELLX, Aerosoft EDDT, ...) and with different Airplanes (FSLabs A320, PMDG 747, PMDG737NGXu).

I am not using NVInspector, Graphic Drivers are the actual ones. There was no change in Software or Hardware between Saturday and Sunday.

I hope somebody can help me.

(My Specs are: https://gyazo.com/12d1b971b6b893ea154759c3f4d3a15a)

Regards
Christophe

JorgenSA

Re: [P3Dv4.5HF2] DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG

Postby JorgenSA » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:32 pm

I found this by googling your error message, so go here:

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/so ... er-easily/

What you might be looking for is probably Fix 3 on that page, but basically you go to Microsoft, where you download and install the DirectX Redistributables. Then you run Windows Update ( you may need to repeat this until fully updated), and finally update your graphics driver again.

Jorgen

Martyson

Postby Martyson » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:33 pm

Christophe,

Are you "over-clocking" any component of your PC setup?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

integrofan

Postby integrofan » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:37 pm

Hello, no there is no overclocking in my Setup

Martyson

Postby Martyson » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:39 pm

Hello, no there is no overclocking in my Setup
Just wondering
if you start your default flight (F22) at KVPS how long before you get this error?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

Blaunarwal

Postby Blaunarwal » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:49 am

I had these errors a long time ago with a computer overheating. due to the housings dust filters that were clogged by dust. Removing the dust from the filters made the cooling work again and the videocard did no longer overheat.

Dan

integrofan

Postby integrofan » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:37 am

The newest DirectX is installed. PC is also clean from dust.

Temperatur of the GTX1080Ti is also in the normal Area... So i don't know, why one day i make several flights, the next day i can't... There was no change over the night in Hardware or Software

JorgenSA

Postby JorgenSA » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:46 am

You did, of course, google the error message, did you not?

In all the cases where I have had an error message like this (including the ntdll.dll and kernelbase.dll error messages, and yes, I have had the DXGI error also), I have been able to fix the issue by googling the error message and looking through the possible causes and fixes.

It can take time and several tries, but in the end you end up with a better, smoother running system.

Jorgen

Martyson

Postby Martyson » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:41 am

Are you still getting this error?

If so, when you start your default P3D flight (F22) at KVPS for a test flight how long is it before you get this error?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

integrofan

Postby integrofan » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:03 pm

@JorgenSA: i had googled before this error. Nothing helps. Some Site suggest to try an older GFX-Driver, other Sites are writing, that maybe the graphiccard will be broken, but i can play other Games without Problems. Also the Temperatur is in the normal Area.

I just make a suggestions from Discord, where i have to uninstall the driver with the DDU Tool. After installing an new driver, it works fine and i was able to make one flight. (Yesterday)

Today again the error...

@Martyson: Around 10-15 minutes

Martyson

Postby Martyson » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:21 pm

Ok,
No overclocking and you get the same error with the default flight F22 at KVPS within "Around 10-15 minutes".

Is your PC a store purchased Pc brand or did you build your PC and upgrade components in your PC?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

JorgenSA

Postby JorgenSA » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:22 pm

Permit me to quote:

"Some Site suggest to try an older GFX-Driver" - I am not sure how much this advice is worth, if anything.

I have a GTX 960 card, and I have always updated to the latest driver as soon as it comes out, using GeForce Experience (a tool that some frown upon), and have never had a graphics card issue.

You said you had "The newest DirectX is installed" - does that mean that you did install the DirectX Redistributables?

When I had that DXGI error myself, I found and followed these steps to the letter:

1. Download and install the DirectX Redistributables (do it, no matter what you THINK you have)

2. Run Windows Update, until fully updated

3. Update the device driver

and hey presto - the error was gone. I posted this solution to someone else a while ago, and his issue was also fixed.

Jorgen

shermank

Postby shermank » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:48 pm

Hi all,

This problem has been lingering for a very long time and there is another post on this topic with an answer that in part worked for me. I say "in part", because the solution also requires a clean video card with all dust bunnies cleared away. turn off all power, unplug the case and open it. Carefully remove your video card and clean it thoroughly using compressed air and a tooth brush or similar tool to dig into nooks and crannies.
Carefully reseat your card, and restore power to the computer.

Now, as for the other part of the solution, this involves editing of your registery. This should only be done if you know exactly how to do this. Here are detailed instructions from the other DXGI error thread in the forum.

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 1&start=15

good luck...hope it works...

Sherm

JorgenSA

Postby JorgenSA » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:57 am

Sherm,

You are touching upon something here, which is very frustrating to so many people - there can be several, if not many, causes for the various issues we see here in the forum, and therefore also several possible solutions.

The point about cleaning the dust out of your system is really important, and something everyone should do periodically. Permit me to add that if you have a desktop computer, it should not be sitting on the floor! Get a footstool, a small table, or at least a couple of thick books that you don't read any more and raise the case off the floor, where dust gathers....

Kudos to you for bringing that up!

Jorgen

Blaunarwal

Postby Blaunarwal » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:58 am

Forgot to mention, that dustfilters may not the only thing clogged. I had a housing once with ventilators on the ground. I regularely cleaned the filters. One day I got more errors, I lifted the housing and looked underneath. So before the filters, I got also dust clogging in a mesh. This is specially for ventilators sitting on the floor of the housing.

Return to “Prepar3D Client Application Questions”