VC Pixelates due to new Monitor - Help!

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
RMM Guam

VC Pixelates due to new Monitor - Help!

Post by RMM Guam »

I have been working to set up a new 23" touch screen monitor to run Air Manager with the A2A C172. In order to activate touch input, this monitor must be the "Main Display" in Windows 10. This caused P3d to initiate on the new touch screen rather than my 4K TV. Then and of course, when I move the small monitor window lower resolution with P3d v4.3 over to the large 4k TV it goes all pixelated.

I was offered a "Fix Blurry Apps" by Windows 10 but clicked NO. There is a place in the Control Panel that reactivates this option, but on restart there was no change.

I also notice something new in OPTIONS / Graphics / Display at the upper right "Full Screen Settings". I now have two Displays listed. NVIDIA GeForce 980Ti.0.0 has the 1920x1080 resolution of the Touch Screen. While the second display listed has NVIDIA GeForce 980Ti.0.1 with the 4k TV resolution of 3840 x 2160. Selecting the proper resolution is not saved when I choose the correct monitor and resolution and hit OK. So that this does nothing for the VC which remains pixelated and now started shimmering like a desert mirage. I don't find that this "Full Screen Settings" option has any real effect on the aircraft and surrounding scenery.

I changed NOTHING in P3d. The only change was the second monitor.

So...not being one to let a stubborn glitch get me down, I shut down and restarted P3D with only the 4k TV connected. No surprise, P3D VC is normal again. Crisp and Clear.

What to do. Seems I am being locked out of using a touch screen monitor for Air Manager as it demands to be the Main Display. That makes P3d initiate in the small monitor. Dragging that window into the 4K monitor causes the higher resolution to pixelate. This cannot be right.

What am I missing?
Thanks in advance.
RMM
JorgenSA

Re: VC Pixelates due to new Monitor - Help!

Post by JorgenSA »

I will take the liberty to copy:

"So...not being one to let a stubborn glitch get me down, I shut down and restarted P3D with only the 4k TV connected. No surprise, P3D VC is normal again. Crisp and Clear."

In other words, not a P3D problem. Then what? Settings? Air Manager, maybe? Or try the touch screen monitor support?

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
RMM Guam

Post by RMM Guam »

Thanks. But..Air Manager is not even running when this problem arises. So take Air Manager out of the discussion. I mentioned that aspect only as background to this story.

There is an interface here between the computer software Windows 10 and P3d and the monitor hardware that may hold the solution. As I already mentioned, there are no settings being changed when this occurs.

I would like for those with some possible solutions to reply.
That would be most helpful.
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Then maybe consider this possible solution:

Maybe Air Manager introduced some settings causing this issue? I will freely admit that I don't know a thing about this product, but you seem to rule it out without question, and in a situation like this, every and all possibilities need to be explored.

Just my bent nickel's worth.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
RMM Guam

Post by RMM Guam »

I know this problem is a bit quirky. I searched the forum as best I could before posting. Found nothing similar.

Let me add... After starting P3d, I load a saved Scenario, I then load the saved Controls Settings relative to my hardware. The purpose of those saved Scenario and Controls Settings files is to keep my system stable and not subject to odd changes. With my 4k TV only, I detect no changes in any aspect of the simulator. The only thing I noticed was the "Full Screen Display" option that I described in the initial post.

I have shown how I can replicate the problem and only by doing something very minor - changing the Main Display. I can go back to original condition as described with no observable change in the simulator. Even the "Full Screen Display" option reverts to original status.

Hoping someone here may have some expertise with resolution type issues.
Very much hoping for some suggestions with specific guidance.

thanks
RMM Guam

RESOLVED -- VC Pixelates due to new Monitor

Post by RMM Guam »

Keep digging away at this issue. I did a few things and got this fixed. I also developed flickering and had to do some more research.

Here is how to resolve this kind of Resolution and Touch Screen Issue:

-1- Check Box to "Disable Full Screen Optimizations" - HOW -- Right Click P3d Shortcut on Desktop. Properties - Compatibility -
Next Steps should be done after any Windows 10 update.
-2- Delete P3d Shaders HOW -- https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/4796 ... -v2-v3-v4/
-3- Delete P3d CFG File HOW -- http://prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=127173

Solution:
-4- Get Windows 10 to separate Main Monitor from Touch Monitor
HOW --
A) Open both monitors with Touch Screen as Main Monitor. Verify Touch Function is working and via Display Setting that Touch Screen is the Main Display.
B) Change Main Display to 4K TV - RESTART Computer
C) Windows 10 Go to Windows Settings (WinKey and search "Settings") and search for "Calibrate the screen for pen or touch input"
OR
Press Start Button and type Calibrate the screen for pen or touch input = takes you to Control Panel - Tablet PC Settings
Click the "Setup" button and read the on screen instructions.
Click Enter until you see the message on the screen you want
Touch the correct touch screen monitor.

Now P3s opens correctly on the 4k TV in full resolution and clarity. And the Touch Screen is accepting touch inputs properly.

Hope these details will help others.
RMM
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Good work!!! This might indeed help others.

Jorgen

RMM Guam

Post by RMM Guam »

Thanks..

May be... As long as no one asks me what P3s is. :-)

RMM