Time zone question

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Martyson

Time zone question

Post by Martyson »

I would like to verify that the Zulu (time zone) changes (-6 to -7 Zulu flying west on this flight) with P3Dv4.5 HF1 at this location on the P3D map view (screenshot) rather than near KLAS (as shown on FAA low altitude charts).

I need to know if this is normal with P3D or I have a problem with my install of P3Dv4.5HF1?

Note:

Originally posted here to get some general information:
https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 4&t=134702
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
rvanzee

Re: Time zone question

Post by rvanzee »

if that's Arizona -7 would be correct as they do not observe daylight savings time
8700K @ 5.0, 32gb RAM @ 4134, RTX 2080ti, 2 m.2 SSD, 4K monitor 30hz, ASUS mobo
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

rvanzee wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:04 am if that's Arizona -7 would be correct as they do not observe daylight savings time
Sorry if I gave a bad example.
I was not asking about daylight savings time specifically.
-6 and -7 UTC was just meant to be an example to indicate where I seen a change during a flight.

Do you happen to know where the Pacific Time Zone Line is on the P3D map view?
Crossing that line is where the time should change.
Best Regards,
Sky_King

Post by Sky_King »

This might help -- https://www.timeanddate.com/time/map/

PST starts at the Arizona (MST)/Nevada (PST) state line.
Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5; Win11 Pro; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k..
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Sky_King wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:18 pm This might help -- https://www.timeanddate.com/time/map/

PST starts at the Arizona (MST)/Nevada (PST) state line.
Have you done a quick flight across the state line and verified the time change?
Best Regards,
downscc

Post by downscc »

Vaughan, as I explained in the original thread, one cannot rely on P3D for accurate time zone placement. Globally, there are too many problems to count. Please consider using a 3d party time zone fixer such as the one I recommended.
Dan Downs
KCRP
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

downscc wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:50 pm Vaughan, as I explained in the original thread, one cannot rely on P3D for accurate time zone placement. Globally, there are too many problems to count. Please consider using a 3d party time zone fixer such as the one I recommended.
Dan,
I previously responded to your suggestion, thank you.

Do you happen to know the answer to my question in this specific topic?
Best Regards,
rvanzee

Post by rvanzee »

Martyson wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:14 pm
rvanzee wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:04 am if that's Arizona -7 would be correct as they do not observe daylight savings time
-6 and -7 UTC was just meant to be an example to indicate where I seen a change during a flight.

not exactly, and it has everything to do with daylight savings time and the fact that most of AZ does NOT observe it. AZ is UTC -7 year round and Pacific Time is also UTC -7 during daylight savings season (March to November), during this time frame the time change boundary is the eastern border of AZ, starting Nov 3 when the rest of the country returns to Standard Time and therefore Pacific Time becomes UTC -8, the time change boundary will shift to the eastern border of California. So, in your example, P3D and FS Real Time are behaving as they should.
rvanzee

Post by rvanzee »

rvanzee wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:49 pm

not exactly, and it has everything to do with daylight savings time and the fact that most of AZ does NOT observe it. AZ is UTC -7 year round and Pacific Time is also UTC -7 during daylight savings season (March to November), during this time frame the time change boundary is the eastern border of AZ, starting Nov 3 when the rest of the country returns to Standard Time and therefore Pacific Time becomes UTC -8, the time change boundary will shift to the eastern border of California. So, in your example, P3D and FS Real Time are behaving as they should.
edit, "the time change boundary will shift to the western border of Arizona"
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

rvanzee wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:15 pm
rvanzee wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:49 pm

edit, "the time change boundary will shift to the western border of Arizona"
Ok,
Thanks for the feedback.
The time zone is then changing in P3D and FS Real Time at the correct location on the map view.
Best Regards,
rvanzee

Post by rvanzee »

Yes, it is changing at the correct location on the map view and as previously stated that will shift to the normal Pacific Time Zone boundary (western border of AZ/eastern border of California and Nevada) come November when the country returns to Standard time.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

rvanzee wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:21 pm Yes, it is changing at the correct location on the map view and as previously stated that will shift to the normal Pacific Time Zone boundary (western border of AZ/eastern border of California and Nevada) come November when the country returns to Standard time.
I drew a new line on my wall map of the USA.
Best Regards,
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

downscc wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:50 pm Vaughan, as I explained in the original thread, one cannot rely on P3D for accurate time zone placement. Globally, there are too many problems to count. Please consider using a 3d party time zone fixer such as the one I recommended.
Dan,

You were right on.

My initial flight tests (time zones) were with P3D and Xplane 11.
That is were I got different locations for time zone changes.

Anyway.

I got an e-mail from FS Real Time today.
They had a server fire (23Aug19 per notes now on on their internet site) and that was causing support delays.

They mentioned that FS Real Time does not control the Time Zone software currently included with their FS Real Time product.

They are now looking for a different Time Zone product which could be partnered with their FS Real Time product.

In the meantime FS Real Time support suggested that I look for a different Time Zone solution to fix the time zones problem within the simulator and just use FS Real Time to keep the time in the flight simulator synced to the computers system clock.

So, it would take two products to fix the Time Zone problems in P3Dv4.5HF1.
Best Regards,