Tool to show us what is using up the most resources within P3D.

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
iluvP3D

Tool to show us what is using up the most resources within P3D.

Postby iluvP3D » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:03 am

Hello,

I would like to suggest that a tool be developed to show users what is using up resources inside P3D. So many of us spin our wheels trying one thing or another to get higher fps, that it feels like trying to find something in the dark.

Such a tool would allow us to compare resource usage of autogen, scenery, aircraft, weather, and other addons. It would give us a sense of real % gain when turning down a setting or two, and knowing whether that setting is anywhere close to the reason for our problems.

For example, I was just at Aerosoft's LPMA in the QW RJ100, sitting pretty at ~60 fps. Switched over to their EDDF Professional addon, and suddenly I was barely doing between 10-20 fps. I went into my options, and drastically reduced my autogen settings to no effect. It makes no sense that performance would be so great in one place, and then horrible in another, even when all settings are down.

I have lots of theories as to what could be causing the problem, such as the fact that I have another Aerosoft addon for EDDB nearby. Nonetheless, these are all theories as toggling with settings is often inconsistent as best. I hope you consider this request for a tool to help us debug what is using up the most resources within P3D.

Martyson

Re: Tool to show us what is using up the most resources within P3D.

Postby Martyson » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:15 am

There is a Features Request area in the forum:
http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=6317
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

downscc

Postby downscc » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:31 pm

There is a good Guide for Prepar3D in AVSIM written by one of the LM beta testers. I includes a guide to what each option or setting has impact or CPU, GPU or both.
Dan Downs
KCRP

JorgenSA

Postby JorgenSA » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:39 am

Dan,

I looked for that guide on AVSIM and couldn't seem to locate it. Could you maybe provide a link to it?

Thanks -

Jorgen

downscc

Postby downscc » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:43 pm

Dan,

I looked for that guide on AVSIM and couldn't seem to locate it. Could you maybe provide a link to it?

Thanks -

Jorgen
On any AVSIM forum page, look at right side of page for list of things under heading Hot Spots. Sixth item down.
Dan Downs
KCRP

iluvP3D

Postby iluvP3D » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:53 pm

There is a good Guide for Prepar3D in AVSIM written by one of the LM beta testers. I includes a guide to what each option or setting has impact or CPU, GPU or both.
As I said in my original post, it is still like searching for something in the dark. You waste a ton of time reloading the game over and over to tweak with settings. Think of how much time it takes on average, to reload 1 setting. Life is short and we would rather not spend it reloading the sim over and over to try hundreds of permutations of settings.

Take also into account how many different variables there are. Not only are there settings for autogen, but you also have to account for airports, scenery, other craft, weather, AI, ATC, shaders, etc, etc, etc. I have read all the guides out there, and can guarantee you that none of them have a clear answer as to what specific issue any one person is having.

It would be the most efficient solution to have a tool that just tells you what exactly is eating up your resources. A Task Manager for Prepar3D, if you will. The community would love you so much for this tool, as it would take the guesswork out of the equation, and just tell us right away what the problem is.

JorgenSA

Postby JorgenSA » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:39 am

Dan,

I found it!

Thanks -

Jorgen

JorgenSA

Postby JorgenSA » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:43 am

iluvP3D,

I totally agree that such a tool would be absolutely wonderful. However, until it or something else gets here, we have to make do with what we've got.

Jorgen

iluvP3D

Postby iluvP3D » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:51 am

iluvP3D,

I totally agree that such a tool would be absolutely wonderful. However, until it or something else gets here, we have to make do with what we've got.

Jorgen

Well, in order for progress to happen, some have to step up and suggest it, right? That is what I am trying to do, and I promise you that it would save everyone tons of time, so we can focus on the beautiful side of flight simming.

Return to “Prepar3D Client Application Questions”