Vsync fixed my crashing issues

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
jfwharton

Vsync fixed my crashing issues

Postby jfwharton » Sun May 05, 2019 2:59 am

Hello. I'm new to P3D. Just purchased the 4.5 Academic Version two days ago. Was excited at first and then the simulator just kept crashing on me. This began when I started experimenting with the various autogen settings. Everytime I would change something and click OK the sim would crash. Most of the errors I could see in event viewer were with KERNELBASE.dll or with ucrtbase.dll. I was also experiencing low fps in more dense scenery areal like Denver, etc, getting down to 20 fps or so. When I was just about to give up and ask for a refund I stumbled across something. I was seeing the screen flicker, a kind of momentary winkout. This started after I changed my framerate in the simulator from 30 fps to unlimited. I changed it back to 30 and the winkout stopped. Put it back to unlimited and it returned. I then was wondering if this could be related to vsync, since I had this turned off. I turned it on and the winkout went away. Not only that but I could now change graphics settings and the sim wouldn't crash. So I just wanted to pass this on. Perhaps the developers will see this and look into it.

IanHarr

Re: Vsync fixed my crashing issues

Postby IanHarr » Mon May 06, 2019 5:00 am

Said with tongue in cheek.
You need to re-think your expectations with P3D, "down to 20fps", many of us with multiple add-ons would be extremely happy to have 20 in some complex situations.

Ian Harrison

jfwharton

Re: Vsync fixed my crashing issues

Postby jfwharton » Tue May 07, 2019 8:36 pm

I'm beginning to realize that now. I was just expecting a bit more since it's a 64 bit application. But I have to admit the ORBX scenery looks fantastic and I can deal with the fps down to 20 in more dense scenery areas. The big thing I was point out was that P3D was constantly crashing whenever I would change any settings. By turning Vsync on that issue has gone away. My hope was to point this out to developers because I don't think that should really have made any difference, but it did. So hopefully they will get the kinks worked out of V4.5, but in the mean time I'm going to enjoy flying P3D.

Return to “Prepar3D Client Application Questions”