Initial zoom factor with view groups

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
davet

Initial zoom factor with view groups

Postby davet » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:02 pm

Hi,

Just wondering how is the initial zoom factor calculated when using a view group.

Kind regards and Happy Holidays.

Dave

seanmcleod

Re: Initial zoom factor with view groups

Postby seanmcleod » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:36 am

I have the same query.

I have created a View Group for 3 monitors, 50 degree HFOV for each, so 150 degrees total HFOV and a VFOV of 30 degrees. I have also set the edge overlap to account for the bezels where the monitors meet.

I use the Cockpit camera and have it's zoom set to 1.0.

Camera 1.1; Value=Cockpit; Zoom Value=1.0

However on startup and whenever switching to the View Group P3D always sets the zoom to 1.12 and I have to manually use the keyboard to change the zoom to 1.0 each time.

Why and how is P3D deciding to use 1.12 as the zoom value and override the zoom value of 1.0 that I have set for the cockpit camera?

seanmcleod

Postby seanmcleod » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:07 am

Making a couple of changes in the View Groups I noticed a couple of things.

Using cylindrical and spherical projection results in P3D defaulting to a zoom factor of 1.12, switching to flat projection results in a default zoom factor of 1.14.

Using the aspect ratio and setting the VFOV more accurately, I had originally rounded it to 30 degrees (15 degrees up and down), to (50 / 1.78) * 0.5 = 14.045 degrees up and down Prepar3d then defaults to a zoom factor of 1.20 for the cylindrical projection.

Now I guess I also need to double-check my assumption that a zoom factor of 1.0 is the 'correct' zoom factor to achieve life-size rendering assuming given my seating position etc. that the physical HFOV is 50 degrees?

It seems as if P3D is making use of the HFOV and VFOV that I've supplied and possibly also the known aspect ratio of the monitors (16:9 - 1920:1080) and the projection type to calculate a different/'better' default zoom factor?

I thought P3D may be taking into account the bezel correctio, edge overlap but changing them to 0 made no difference to the default zoom factor that P3D comes up with.

seanmcleod

Postby seanmcleod » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:42 pm

No one from Lockheed Martin around with an answer?

Return to “Prepar3D Client Application Questions”