[Resolved] V4.4 Visual anomalies through prop and when near ground (SteamVR)

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
refields

[Resolved] V4.4 Visual anomalies through prop and when near ground (SteamVR)

Postby refields » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:26 am

This one is kind of bizarre. I’m getting odd visuals when I look through my prop and along wing leading and trailing edges at the ground when taxiing on low wing planes. I'm in VR so it’s easy to look over at the leading edge and see this.

The leading edge shows it most when taxiing. It seems to pop forward and back like the drawing is late or something. It never draws the leading edge ahead of the proper place but does draw it behind. The trailing edge can draw farther aft though. When I sit still, there is no effect. It builds in as speed increases. As I climb out, the effect becomes less and less until at a few thousand feet it’s not noticeable.

There is a similar effect of sorts when looking through the prop at ground objects. They tend to pop up and down. I bet these are related but cant say for sure. This seems to persist even to altitude though.

SteamVR and Vive Pro on Windows 10. Just updated Nvidia drivers yesterday. I haven’t checked the effects with VR disabled yet. Will do that tomorrow. Mostly just asking if others have noticed these effects.

Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Re: V4.4 Visual anomalies through prop and when near ground

Postby Beau Hollis » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:17 am

Do you see this effect on the monitor if you take the headset off and hold it in your hands? That might help rule out if its something happening in our scene render or in the SteamVR compositor.

Thanks
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect

mariogomezmolina

Postby mariogomezmolina » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:34 am

Same here with Vive Pro. It only happens in VR mode, not in normal mode.

refields

Postby refields » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:52 pm

@Beau Hollis — same as @mariogomezmolina - it seems to be only in VR. I tried looking at just the monitor and no effects noted there. I also video captured with OBS and no effect there. Seems to be only visible in VR. Also, the view through the prop with the scenery objects popping up and down turns out to be altitude dependent after all. It’s bad on the ground but gets much less noticeable with altitude. I had clouds in view today to look through the prop to see and it does also seem altitude dependent. One other thing that didn’t appear to depend on altitude (could be wrong though) was if I move my head in the cockpit, I see similar anomalies between the edges of the yoke and the panel behind it but it’s not as bad I think because relative motion speeds are lower. Seems pervasive in other words.

Not sure if it is related but I also have been getting more pauses where my view goes to the SteamVR gray circular/saucer grid for just a moment and I see my Lighthouses appear. It goes right back to regular P3D scenery though. I didn’t get those with 4.3. It’s during scenery loads though. I was flying at night and when I’d get the pauses, when it would come back, streets and cities would have filled in off in the distance. It may have something to do with my settings but I didn’t get this behavior in 4.3 either.

Thanks for looking at this. Since there are two of us for sure I'll bet others are seeing it too. Interesting we both have Vive Pros. I wonder if regular Vives and Rifts get this effect as well?

mariogomezmolina

Postby mariogomezmolina » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:45 pm

I know what is the problem. It seems that the last update of STEAMVR has introduced that problem. You have to disabled in Steam vr configuration the motion smoothimng and all come back to the normallity.

refields

Postby refields » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:00 am

Thanks Mario! I’ll give that a try.

Return to “Prepar3D Client Application Questions”