Display Settings Using VR

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Rlbomber

Display Settings Using VR

Post by Rlbomber »

What should the display settings be when using VR? If possible, in both the Prepar3d and the Nvidia settings. It seems that I am getting white lines that almost look like radio towers when using vr, but when I turn vr off, they're not there.

Thanks.
whitav8

Re: Display Settings Using VR

Post by whitav8 »

Please start by telling us as much as possible about your PC - which CPU and at what Ghz, how much RAM at what speed, which video card and what driver version, what OS and build level, which VR HMD and what version of its drivers, and what version of Prepar3D are you running.

Are you using Oculus Tray Tool to set ASW and Pixel Density/Super Sampling if you have an Oculus Rift?

You can only operate in areas with high performance scenery and no/minimal traffic
- nonVR HD monitor reporting at least 80 FPS with virtual cockpit showing

In general, for VR, I use medium to low settings: ( I have an i7CPU (6 cores) at 4.2 Ghz, Nvidia 1060 )
AA=2xSSAA since I run Super Sampling at 1.6
Anisotropic at 8X
Vsync=off, Target frame rate = Unlimited
Terrain and Scenery settings = medium
Water Detail = LOW, no reflections
Lighting - no HDR, no dynamic lighting, landing lights enabled
Shadow quality = off or low, only external vehicle or maybe internal vehicle
P3Dv5, P3Dv4.4 9700K@5Ghz, 32gbRam, RTX2070,HP Reverb HMD
Rlbomber

Post by Rlbomber »

Thanks for the reply.

I'm running an I7 overclocked to 4.6
24G DDR 2200 Corsair
1080 Founders Addition
Everything the latest drivers
Oculus Rift
Ver 4 Prepar3D

I've tried using the Oculus Tray Tool with the Pixel Density set to 1.2 and the system shuts down after about 10 minutes or so of flying. If I don't use the Oculus Tray Tool, I can fly for as long as my flight takes.

In my display settings, I did increase the DPI of the text to 150% and changed the color of the ATS so that it's easier to read.

I wish I knew why the Oculus Tray Tool is causing issues?
whitav8

Post by whitav8 »

@OP,
Sounds like you might have some system issues - maybe you could try underclocking the CPU or GPU. Oculus Tray Tool is indeed asking your graphics card to render 30% or so more pixels so it can later downsample to the Oculus Rift display resolution. This also might be the reason for the crazy lines in VR. None of that is happening for me.
P3Dv5, P3Dv4.4 9700K@5Ghz, 32gbRam, RTX2070,HP Reverb HMD