Trees suddenly looking unrealistic

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Dreamsofwings1

Trees suddenly looking unrealistic

Post by Dreamsofwings1 »

I have noticed in recent weeks (certainly since installing the 4.3 client) that the trees in my sim are looking far less realistic than they used to. They appear less "bushy" and the cruciform 2d nature of them is far more apparent.
As I used ORBX HD Trees for textures I posted there first but understand that this relates to something that has changed within the Prepar3D software since ORBX have not made any changes.
There are others reporting a 'frosty' appearance to areas of trees, that is more apparent in close up, and this could potentially be accounting for the enhanced cruciform 2D nature. I have included some images below (first one is the default P3D trees) and would appreciate any guidence you can give as to how to resolve it, or perhaps whether this is a known issue that has been flagged for future updates?
Mike Sierra

Re: Trees suddenly looking unrealistic

Post by Mike Sierra »

Hi Dreamsofwings1,

Personally, I'd say that the trees in your screenshots look 'normal'.
You might choose the "3D Vegetation" option of P3D to avoid the cross-shaped trees, but one has to be aware that 3D-woods are much less dense than the 'normal' ones (that's why I prefer the cross-shaped plants)
The fact of how intensely the cross-shape is visible, depends on the point of view.
If you look vertically down onto trees, you'll see nothing but the criss-crosses of the trees (a rather surreal aspect).
Michael.
N 48°10' E 13°30' 496m
Austria, Europe
-vv-
ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula, I9-9900KF, 8x 5,0GHz, Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4-4400, 2x ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 (SLI) @ 7680x1440, Win10prof64 on 1TB SSD, P3Dv5.3.7... on Samsung M.2 2TB, Saitek cockpit
ncooper

Post by ncooper »

Here is an image showing the reported problem even more clearly.

Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Hello,

The faint border around 2D billboard trees can be more apparent in some situations depending on how these objects are sorted. Nothing has changed recently to impact this behavior.

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead