[RESOLVED] P3D V.4 strange behaviour on startup

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Jespersson

[RESOLVED] P3D V.4 strange behaviour on startup

Post by Jespersson »

Hi!

I am having a few issues with P3D v4.2 where the main issue is that it looks like the application does a CTD on startup but if you look at the task manager it is still there as a process but not as an application.

The other strange thing is that the game launches automatically when I start my computer. Sometimes I have recieved an error message on my login screen before I am even logged in to windows saying that P3D requires a higher screen resolution of minimum 1024x720 (I think it was) indicating that the application is launched before I am even logged in to windows. Currently its running as a process using 0,2% CPU, 296 MB memory, 0,1 MB/s Hard Drive and 0% GPU.

It has been working fine for a very long time and it has also been working properly since I last installed any addon software.

I have tried these solutions without success:
- Reinstalling all the latest Nvidia graphics and sound drivers
- Setting my graphics card as running card in Nvidia 3D settings
- Updated all other drivers on the system (using driver booster)
- Rebooting computer several times
- Repairing Microsoft visuals 2015
- Disabled anti virus software
- Uninstalling the most common addons that cause issues
- Running P3D as admin (I always do that)
- Shutting down the P3D process in task manager and starting it manually
- Unplugged all USB devices except mouse and Keyboard (Logitech wireless mouse and bluetooth keyboard)

There is no error in the system logbook related to P3D and no other error message before it crashes.

System specs:
Ram: 16GB
Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 960
Hard Drive: System on a 500 GB classic drive and P3D on a 750 GB classic drive.
CPU: Intel i7-6700 3,4GHz
Display: Samsung C34H890 curved 3440x1440

Addons:
PMDG: 737-600/700 & -800/900
Aerosoft: Barcelona, Heathrow, Frankfurt, Oslo, Rome & Zürich
Fly Tampa: Copenhagen, Vienna, Amsterdam, Dubai and libraries
FSDreamteam: New York JFK, GSX, Addon Manager (uninstalled when troubleshooting as it is a common trouble maker).
Flightbeam: KSFO (uninstalled when troubleshooting as it is a common trouble maker because of addon manger)
Just Sim: Düsseldorf
JetStream Design: Milano Linate
Tropical Sim: Porto
Qualitywings: 787
ORBX: FTX Global, OpenLC Europe, FTX Vector, Trees HD, libraries, Stockholm Arlanda, EU England and Bilbao
Other: SODE, REX 4 Texture Direct, Active Sky for P3D v.4 (uninstalled when troubleshooting as it is a common trouble maker), FSUIPC5.

Is there any way to solve this without having to do a complete reinstall of the game and all addons (as you can see there are quite a few of them...)?

Kind regards
Jesper Persson
Kind regards
Jesper Persson
downscc

Re: P3D V.4 strange behaviour on startup

Post by downscc »

I've seen a typo error in an add-on.xml file cause exactly this symptom, but also errors in P3D 'generated files" can do this. You have a long list of things you tried but not any of the steps recommended by LM in their tips for troubleshooting (pinned at the top of the forum). Give those troubleshooting tips a try.
Dan Downs
KCRP
Jespersson

Post by Jespersson »

downscc wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:57 pm I've seen a typo error in an add-on.xml file cause exactly this symptom, but also errors in P3D 'generated files" can do this. You have a long list of things you tried but not any of the steps recommended by LM in their tips for troubleshooting (pinned at the top of the forum). Give those troubleshooting tips a try.
Hi!

The only thing on that list I have not done is to delete the sim generated folders. I wanted that to be the absolute last option as that will cause all addons to be deleted from the sim.
Kind regards
Jesper Persson
Mike Sierra

Post by Mike Sierra »

You could rename all sim related folders from "<soandso>" to "<soandso>.xxx". So you keep your settings but P3D will re-generate a new set. If it brings no success, you just delete the newly generated folders and rename back your original ones.
Michael.
N 48°10' E 13°30' 496m
Austria, Europe
-vv-
ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula, I9-9900KF, 8x 5,0GHz, Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4-4400, 2x ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 (SLI) @ 7680x1440, Win10prof64 on 1TB SSD, P3Dv5.3.7... on Samsung M.2 2TB, Saitek cockpit
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

Jespersson wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:28 am The other strange thing is that the game launches automatically when I start my computer. Sometimes

Hello Jesper

This is possible due to a new feature of Windows 10, Please see the link below

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/stop- ... indows-10/

-------------------------------------

Here is some light house keeping you can try, This will not effect any of your 3rd party Add On's

Delete the following files and folders, They will generate again when Prepar3D is launched next

After you complete this launch Prepar3D and test

Copy the Tex below and Paste them into your windows search bar, One by One and click on the result, this will bring you directly to the correct locations

Delete the Prepar3D.cfg file

Code: Select all

%APPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

Delete the Shaders folder and these 2 files Prepar3D_Default.fxml \ Prepar3D_Default.wx

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

Delete the terrain.cfg file

%PROGRAMDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

After you complete the above steps launch Prepar3D and test.

Note: If this is successful ensure you then launch the FTX Central control panel this action alone will reconfigure the terrain.cfg file again for your Orbx Scenery

Let us know how you get on
Jespersson

Post by Jespersson »

Thank you Elaine!

The sim started as it should and I am currently installing the ORBX products to configure them properly. I will install all the applications I removed for troubleshooting purposes and then report back if everything works as it should.
Kind regards
Jesper Persson
Jespersson

Post by Jespersson »

Everything is now installed again and the sim works as it should. Thank you for your assistance in this matter!
Kind regards
Jesper Persson