New Install: Crash when trying to Save Scenario - no way to save or load

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
avi8torwoz

New Install: Crash when trying to Save Scenario - no way to save or load

Post by avi8torwoz »

Just-installed v4.2 (with no previous version installed). No add-ons. Win10Pro/64, Intel Core i7 Extreme 975 @ 3.33GHz, 12GB RAM, 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (Gigabyte), 4k display (Philips BDM4350 at 3840x2160). Start application, "Prepar3D Scenario" dialog appears. Select a stock aircraft different from the default F-35, select any airport other than the default...
  • An attempt to "Save..." at this point - surprisingly - elicits a dialog "Are you sure you want to exit Prepar3D? Yes/No" every time. Responding "Yes" exists the program. Responding "No" puts the app in a weird state where the flight is in progress, but the "Prepar3D Scenario" dialog is still open and on top. Trying to "Save.." crashes it as described below.
  • Alternatively, after clicking "OK" to start a flight, attempting to save via the menu crashes the program every time (poof! it disappears; just like that). Windows sometimes displays the "application stopped working" dialog, and sometimes it doesn't, but the app disappears either way.
Net result:
  • Application crashes every time.
  • There is no way to save a scenario.
NOTE: The same happens with "Load..." a scenario. There is no way to load, either.
Kayla Dillon

Re: New Install: Crash when trying to Save Scenario - no way to save or load

Post by Kayla Dillon »

Hello,

Have you gone through the general debugging steps?
http://prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=123246

Do you have any addons installed?

Regards,
Kayla
Prepar3D® Software Engineer
avi8torwoz

Post by avi8torwoz »

Kayla,

I thought it would have been obvious from my post that the answer was yes to the first, and no to the second question. I specifically and very deliberately crafted the message to indicate that.

In particular, I said "Just-installed v4.2", and " No add-ons".

Regards,
A.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

"Application crashes every time."

Go to the Windows Event Viewer to see the
Faulting Module Name
that caused your CTD.
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
Kayla Dillon

Post by Kayla Dillon »

Hello,

In addition to the Event Viewer logs that Martyson requested, can you turn on Content Error Reporting?
Content Error reporting can be turned on in the General -> Simulation Settings Screen or by setting ContentErrorReporting=1 in Prepar3D.cfg's [MAIN] section.

If this value is set to 1, errors related to content will be logged to the following file:

%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Files\ContentErrorLog.txt
Regards,
Kayla
Prepar3D® Software Engineer
avi8torwoz

Post by avi8torwoz »

I have gathered all I could about the crash from the Windows Event Viewer:

You can grab all the relevant details in a zip at https://cdn.optimax.com/prepar3d/Prepar ... -04-27.zip.

As far as enabling Content Error Reporting, I did that (via Options | Application - General, and verified it was set in Prepar3D.cfg), but no ContentErrorLog.txt file was created, which presumably means I had no content errors.

Regards,
avi8torwoz
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

avi8torwoz wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 1:15 pm 10 days have passed and no answer? Not even an acknowledgement of my data? $200 for what exactly?
In your error log.
Mouse Click / on the RED (application) error line and it will open the error information window for you to read and copy the error information for your feedback here.
Best Regards,
avi8torwoz

Post by avi8torwoz »

I have prepared (with a non-insignificant effort, I might add) a zip file - linked in my message - that has all the information. Do you really want me to post all that junk here?
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

avi8torwoz wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 1:35 pm I have prepared (with a non-insignificant effort, I might add) a zip file - linked in my message - that has all the information. Do you really want me to post all that junk here?
I will show a screenshot of the needed information.

In search box type : event viewer

Best Regards,
avi8torwoz

Post by avi8torwoz »

All of that information, and then some, is in the zip file. Why can't you just get it?
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

avi8torwoz wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 1:52 pm All of that information, and then some, is in the zip file. Why can't you just get it?
In a previous post I mentioned:
Go to the Windows Event Viewer to see the
Faulting Module Name
that caused your CTD.

All pilots and LM support staff reading about this problem only need the information in the second line of my screenshot.
Faulting Module Name

A zip download is not needed.
Best Regards,
avi8torwoz

Post by avi8torwoz »

Application: Prepar3D.exe Framework Version: v4.0.30319 Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception. Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException at <Module>.UIInterface.UnmanagedMapViewer.{dtor}(UIInterface.UnmanagedMapViewer*) at UIInterface.MapViewer.!MapViewer() at UIInterface.MapViewer.Dispose(Boolean)

The above error happens when I start the application, initiate a flight without changing anything, then immediately (after the scenery loaded) attempted to File | Save. It also happens when attempting to save from the initial dialog.

Crash happens every time, but when crashed from within an active flight, Windows Event Log does not even show it.

Regarding content errors, `%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Files\ContentErrorLog.txt` was not created, which presumably means I had no content errors.

(All of this - and more - was in the zip file I made available earlier.)
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Hello,

Can you try shutting down Prepar3D, running the "Delete Generated Files" shortcut in your Prepar3D installation directory, and then restarting the application? Also do you only see this when using the Startup Screen?

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
gsnde

Post by gsnde »

What you describe reminds me of an issue I had reported here once, plus the solution I have found. Since I received some additional confirmation from people affected via forum PM - maybe you like to have a try?

Martyson

Post by Martyson »

gsnde wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 4:40 pm What you describe reminds me of an issue I had reported here once, plus the solution I have found. Since I received some additional confirmation from people affected via forum PM - maybe you like to have a try?

Just to verify, was you problem (linked) caused by an add-on A1 aircraft you installed and not a problem with a fresh / default install of P3D?
Best Regards,