[RESOLVED] Basic 32 vs 64 bit question

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
pkofman

[RESOLVED] Basic 32 vs 64 bit question

Post by pkofman »

I really don't know this answer
If I install p3d v4.2 in the Program Files (x86) folder will it be limited to 32 bits or can it run in that folder in x64
Please let me know. I may have a made a mistake on this install long ago.
Pete
dickparker

Re: Basic 32 vs 64 bit question

Post by dickparker »

I think most users would prefer to install P3D on a separate drive or partition to keep it away from C: drive activity. I have mine installed on a SSD which I labelled P: for guess what?
WarpD

Post by WarpD »

Program Files (x86) is for 32-bit applications and 64-bit applications do not want to install there by default. They will want to install into the Program FIles folder. You should not install a 64-bit application into the folder area reserved by the OS for 32-bit applications.

It will run as a 64-bit app, no matter what... but, it's not a good idea to "cross pollinate"...
Ed Wilson
Senior Developer
Mindstar Aviation
pkofman

Post by pkofman »

WarpD wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:42 am Program Files (x86) is for 32-bit applications and 64-bit applications do not want to install there by default. They will want to install into the Program FIles folder. You should not install a 64-bit application into the folder area reserved by the OS for 32-bit applications.

It will run as a 64-bit app, no matter what... but, it's not a good idea to "cross pollinate"...
Excellent and thank you for this very clear answer.Im about to reinstall so ill get it right this time!