P3D Crashes when I try to access Settings, etc, from main screen

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
xmozartx

Re: P3D Crashes when I try to access Settings, etc, from main screen

Postby xmozartx » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:47 pm

i had thought that it was a recent MS Update. thats why i uninstalled anything within the last week, but that turned out to be false.
i had tried almost all the other menu items. its only happening with the above menu selections.

xmozartx

Postby xmozartx » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:50 pm

you also have the same crash reported back in July without resolution from LM, but he was able to resolve it with some 3rd party install. which i WILL NOT TRY.
viewtopic.php?t=125311

CTSteve

Postby CTSteve » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:11 pm

I would say that the last Windows update that I had was a week or two before I purchased P3d. I haven't gotten to any other screens in P3d because I can't set the basics parameters to fly, such as control cailbration. I have not found this issue in any other application that I regularly use.

ibelarry

Postby ibelarry » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:50 am

I had the exact same issue. Went through every single one of the debugging steps short of a complete re-installation. Then I decided disable windows defender real-time protection and it worked and worked consistently. Excluding the addons in my documents and excluding the P3Dv4.1 install folder did not work. Had to turnoff real-time protection. Must have been a recent update to defender in Windows 10 that prevented me from entering the options menu and then a ctd. One advantage of not running defender is I gained an average of 15 fps in ORBX intense scenery with Flightbeam Airports such as KFSO. Thank god I did not do a reinstall-24 hours of reinstalling addon scenery would have been a real drag. Hope this helps!

xmozartx

Postby xmozartx » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:51 am

great info. i'll give it a try in the AM.
Not sure if i feel comfortable with completely disabling the only virus protection i have, as i dont like having 3rd party virus protection.
Im sure i can figure out MS Defender's Exclusion policy.
will advise.

CTSteve

Postby CTSteve » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:52 am

Thanks,
I'll try this when I have time. I have other security so should be OK.

CTSteve

Postby CTSteve » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:46 am

Checked my firewall, Defender is essentially off because Norton Security is handling protection. I temporarily turned off the Norton Firewall and the only difference was that when P3d crashed the Microsoft 'not responding' box came up again instead of just going directly back to the Desktop. So, no relief there.

xmozartx

Postby xmozartx » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:16 pm

@CTSteve
you can never completely turn off Windows Defender. its MS way off keeping control.
Besides, IMO Norton is junk. not to mention they all HAVE to dig deep in the OS and hook into it.
not good.
Here is what i found so far.
Yes, if you turn off Windows Defender, it WILL work. But thats not acceptable.
So i tried the exclusion list and added Prepar3d folder. DIDN'T WORK.
Added PrePar3d.exe Process. DIDN'T WORK
Went through ALL of the "Exploit Protection" one by one, Restarting the PC at each setting. DIDN'T WORK.
What DID WORK was to go into the "Virus And Threat Protection Settings" and turned off "Controlled Folder Access".
Although this had worked. IMO this should ONLY be TEMPORARY. LM needs to come up with a fix. This should NOT be something that can be left off.
as a side note, with Windows defender off, Prepar3D was very snappy and frame rates did improve. maybe not a drastic improvement, but improved none the less, and felt smooth(er??)
now to start adding the "Add-Ons". will see how that goes.

ibelarry

Postby ibelarry » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:21 pm

Yes xmozartx you are right. Disabling the closed folder access worked for me too! Won't get the fps boost but at least realtime protection is on! I sleep better at night with knowing Big Brother MS is watching over my pc.

idaniel83

Postby idaniel83 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:53 am

Having the exact same problem now suddenly too - was this ever properly resolved? If I try and select 'General' or 'Graphics' etc from the Options drop down menu I get an immediate CTD, even in default aircraft and default scenery. Looking at some of the other posts of the same issue, I noted that I already have Controlled Folder Access set to off by default, and I also tried turning of Real Time Protection temporarily, and that did nothing either.

CTSteve

Postby CTSteve » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:24 pm

No, this have never been resolved. Haven't gotten past square one. I have $200 worth of useless software that I will not use until the provider supplies a dependable one-shot solution. I have no interest in spending countless hours going through a series of this-might-work 'solutions' that might or might not work and exposing my system to intrusion. Would I recommend this product to a friend? Not likely, major disappointment at a premium price.

Martyson

Postby Martyson » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:41 am

p3d crashes When click on any of the "administrative" links at the bottom of the Options drop down menu, General, Graphics, Controls.
Go to the Windows Event Viewer to see the
Faulting Module Name
that caused your problem.

Click on: Start

In search box type : event viewer

then next, look up your error ... here is example.

Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

CTSteve

Postby CTSteve » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:30 am

And...
I get this message:

The program Prepar3D.exe version 4.1.7.22841 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
Process ID: 3a9c
Start Time: 01d3fbedabd80e10
Termination Time: 37
Application Path: G:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Prepar3D.exe
Report Id: 48b7e8bb-96bf-495c-b841-4e51b4585b65
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

What does that tell me except that P3D is not working? I have both Defender and Norton Security.

Martyson

Postby Martyson » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:11 am

Did you look in your Windows Event Viewer?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

CTSteve

Postby CTSteve » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:46 am

Yes, this message is copied from Event Viewer.

Return to “Prepar3D Client Application Questions”