VR Issue: Zoom In/Out is Not Working

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
MikeT707

VR Issue: Zoom In/Out is Not Working

Post by MikeT707 »

In v4.1, the Zoom In/Out functionality does not seem to be working as it was in v4.0. In order to recreate the scenario, I am in VR mode in the Virtual Cockpit. When I press the equal sign (=) to zoom in or the hyphen (-) to zoom out, nothing happens. I also have the zoom functionality assigned to one of the axis of my throttle controller and still nothing happens.

Zoom In/Out is a very useful function and it was present in v4.0. Is there something I am doing wrong on my end of did LM inadvertently disable this important feature?

Thanks and hope to hear from our helpful Lockheed Martin support team.
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Re: VR Issue: Zoom In/Out is Not Working

Post by Rob McCarthy »

This is by design. We disabled zoom in VR to prevent camera field-of-view changes. The eyepoint of the camera can still be moved if desired. These controls can be found by searching "eyepoint" in the controls menu.

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
MikeT707

Post by MikeT707 »

Is there a way for a user to add it somehow, possibly in one of the config files. Reason I ask is I have two other friends that fly VR and it is useful to zoom in order to view better in the distance when we need to do that. For instance, it is good to zoom in to view how well the aircraft is lining up to the runway from a distance. The three of us were pretty frustrated when we could no longer do this.
ethorn

Post by ethorn »

I second this. I find the zoom function essential and this is different from moving the eye point. The ability to keep my usual eye point but zoom in on gauges and far away things helps compensate for the poor resolution of the VR headset.
John_Clayton

Post by John_Clayton »

ethorn wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:22 pm I second this. I find the zoom function essential and this is different from moving the eye point. The ability to keep my usual eye point but zoom in on gauges and far away things helps compensate for the poor resolution of the VR headset.
I agree that this is essential. I would please ask LM to add this back in order to give the virtual pilot the choice to use it or not instead of making the choice for him/her. I used it extensively in the prior version and being that this was taken away, am trying to decide whether or not I should go back to 4.0. I really need it to be able to see the airfield from a distance in order to line up gracefully with the runway.

LM has been a very good partner with its user base and I hope the good people at LM can reconsider.