Limit to size of scenery.cfg?

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
degeus

Limit to size of scenery.cfg?

Post by degeus »

Hello,
Is there a limit to the size of the scenery.cfg?
V4 starts up quite well untill entry area 1099, as soon as I try to enter number 1100 it crashes.
Piet de Geus
Netherlands
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Re: Limit to size of scenery.cfg?

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Does the crash still occur when using different scenery areas in spot 1100 or is it isolated to one specific area? Are the scenery areas compatible with v4?

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
petronius

Post by petronius »

My sceneries are all photorealistic tiles about 2Gb in size each. They load until about 1100 ( obviousli until1099)), the rest of the tiles remain unloaded. This is a limit by V4. I tried on two different computers, same result.
Hope this is solved soon, I am stuck with half of US not loading.
degeus

Post by degeus »

Hello,
I substituted by change with a lower number into 1100 (that was working O.K.) and the same occurred.
Adding a area 1100 or more makes V4 crash. Half of my airports and sceneries are unaccessible!
Piet de Geus
Netherlands
Mike Sierra

Post by Mike Sierra »

Sounds, as if a scenery manager, with which you can part your scenery collection into various (most probably geographical) groups and construct a scenery.cfg file only out of these groups, in which area you intend to move your aircraft.
Alas, the only Scenery Managers I know, are from historical flightsim versions, most of them still worked with P3Dv3.x, but I don't know about v4.
Michael.
N 48°10' E 13°30' 496m
Austria, Europe
-vv-
ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula, I9-9900KF, 8x 5,0GHz, Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4-4400, 2x ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 (SLI) @ 7680x1440, Win10prof64 on 1TB SSD, P3Dv5.3.7... on Samsung M.2 2TB, Saitek cockpit
petronius

Post by petronius »

no! I use the same scenery.cfg for FSX and P3d, all my sceneries are stored on a seperate 8TB drive, only V4 limits the entries to this limit. I hope they will solve this soon, as with the new 64bit System the number of scenery entries will grow very fast.
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Hi All,

If you are getting a crash, and you have Visual Studio 2015, could you provide us with a Dump?

When Prepar3D crashes, the option to debug through Visual Studio should appear. Attach to the Prepar3D process and then go to Debug --> Save Dump As to save the memory dump. Feel free to upload that to Dropbox or some other file server and PM me a link. Make sure you provide the full version number with each dump.

More details here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/d5zhxt22.aspx

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
petronius

Post by petronius »

I will try to do this, but I am no expert and I fear I will use one of my two new licenses if something goes wrong.
petronius

Post by petronius »

I could not record the loading limits as the program pretends to load forever ( I let it run for more than one hour--for my 1400 tiles it takes around 10 minutes to load(P3dv3.4) if newly started, much less if running for the second time). Obviously not too many users have so many scenery entries. But this limit exists and there should be someone at the Prepare people who are prepared to test this and find out the reason.There was no limit at prepare3.4.
petronius

Post by petronius »

Same with Hotfix 1. program- loading simply freezes with first window if number of scenery entries goes over 1100. Below that number everything works fine.Again this limit does not exist with FSX or P3d other than version 4.
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Did you delete all generated files after installing the hotfix? There is a shortcut called "Delete Generated Files" in Prepar3D's root directory that will clean these up and force them to be recreated on startup.

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
petronius

Post by petronius »

This was not a good idea.It deleted all my settings FSUIPC etc.
In fact one has to copy the appropriate scenery.config into the Program Data file by hand, that means once you have put all your sceneries into the Scenery Library you generated a scenery.config file in the Program Data file that includes all these added sceneries by numbering them and telling the program where to find each of them ( I use one large separate Drive).
Now you can use this scenry.config and copy it into any of your FSX or P3d v2,3 Program Data File. The program will load your files and you can fly happily over the whole phototealistic continents.
Now with P3dv4 this is limited to 1099 entries exactly. One more and the screen "Generating scenery files indices" will freece at 0%.that means it does not start at all. Finish- fun over.
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Post by Rob McCarthy »

What is the encoding of the scenery config you are copying/editing? Is this a file that is reused from previous versions (including v4 before the hotfix)? If so this could be the issue. Have you tried editing the file that is created by version 4 after the hotfix?

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
petronius

Post by petronius »

What do you mean by encoding of the scenery?
What I did was the following. I added one by one all 1400 sceneries to the Scenery Library of P3d v2 and 3. This resulted in a scenery config in the Program Data file including all new sceneries . Opening this file shows all entries from 1 to 1400. Then I copied this scenery.config into the Program Data file of my FSX version and it worked ok.Same files same structure in both Simulators.
When I tried the same with V4 it did not "generate any scenery file indices". So I went to my scenery config file with 1400 entries opened it and deleted all scenery entries above 1099, thus leaving only exactly 1099 to load, and it works ok. So there is a limit. (see post by Degeus from above).
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Post by Rob McCarthy »

You cannot reuse this file from older versions in v4. We updated the encoding of these files to support Unicode. I recommend deleting this file, forcing Prepar3D to regenerate it, and then add your scenery through the scenery manager.

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead