Anyone seen this anomoly?

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
zap737

Re: Anyone seen this anomoly?

Post by zap737 »

Here is another shot from 50,000 feet of the Grand Water Canyon northeast of KNTU - Naval Air Station Oceana ,Virginia Beach, Virginia. It was taken overhead KNTU so easy to reproduce.
Could some LM devs lease take a look and comment.
Is there a fix for this?

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/G8XB
Asus Z370-A | 8700K @ 5.0 Ghz | 32GB DDR 4 | GTX 1080TI | 4K Monitor @ 30Hz | Samsung 970 EVO | Track IR 5 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Virpil Mongoose Stick | TM Warthog Throttle | MFG X-Wind Rudder Pedals | Orbx Global | Orbx Vector | Orbx OpenLC NA, EU
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Post by Beau Hollis »

Does enabling/disabling bathymetry change your results?
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect
zap737

Post by zap737 »

Beau Hollis wrote:Does enabling/disabling bathymetry change your results?
Unfortunately not. That's one of the first things I tried.

FYI the Grand Water Canyon becomes visible from as low as 24000 feet.

Also, here is a view of the tiles junction over land to demonstrate the effect, but in the case of land, there doesn't seem to be the elevation "discontinuity" issue as in the case of water. This shot was taken over on the west coast near KSEA but it's the same effect everywhere.

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/G8XH

Also, this shot below from 94000 feet is taken overhead KSEA.

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/G87K

Just a suggestion....
Do you as a developer have a "vanilla" P3D installation with no addons available? If so, if you place an aircraft at KNTU and at KSEA and slew it to about 50,000 feet, we may be able to see if it is present in the RTM version.

I am on V 3.4.18.19475 and the only addons I have are listed in my signature.

Thanks for the reply Beau.
Asus Z370-A | 8700K @ 5.0 Ghz | 32GB DDR 4 | GTX 1080TI | 4K Monitor @ 30Hz | Samsung 970 EVO | Track IR 5 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Virpil Mongoose Stick | TM Warthog Throttle | MFG X-Wind Rudder Pedals | Orbx Global | Orbx Vector | Orbx OpenLC NA, EU
zap737

Post by zap737 »

OK, I think I have found the answer.

When I disabled Bathymetry from the Settings > Scenery menu, it didn't fix the issue.

However, when I went into the World > Scenery Library menu and unchecked the Bathymetry checkbox the problem was fixed.

But the land terrain rendering to the horizon problem remains.
As I fly aircraft up to 51,000 feet (and the F22 can go to 60,000 feet and beyond), is there a way to get the terrain to render out to the visible horizon so that we don't get the issue shown below? This shot was taken from 51,000 feet. See how the rendered terrain tiles stops short of the horizon in a zig zag pattern ?

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/GC6s

You can see the problem of the rendered terrain tiles not going out far enough to the east in the top down view below.

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/GC6w
Afterburner SST

Post by Afterburner SST »

You are using unlimited visibility, which is very unrealistic. If you fly in the real world, you will always see some amount of haze on the horizon, no matter what altitude you are flying at. I would simply limit the visibility; this will obscure the anomaly and provide a more realistic environment.
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Post by Beau Hollis »

The entire globe is loaded at a fixed (relatively low) level of detail. These textures are pre-created and behave similar to add-on scenery based on imagery. For tiles within a certain radius of the camera, the terrain system generates a new textures at run-time using vector data for roads and shorelines. At lower LOD radius values you can see a noticeable drop in quality when tiles transition for generated to pre-generated. Because the pre-gen globe imagery is based on the same texture generation techniques, the transition is typically not that jarring. On the other hand, if you have overridden to hard winter in FL, or you have add-on scenery that looks different than the background, the hard edges at the transition become more apparent (as in your screenshot) Perhaps at some point we could introduce a gradual fade between the last set of generated tiles and their parents. This would at least clean up the blocky nature of the transition.
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect
zap737

Post by zap737 »

Beau Hollis wrote:....Perhaps at some point we could introduce a gradual fade between the last set of generated tiles and their parents. This would at least clean up the blocky nature of the transition.
Thanks Beau, that would be good.
Beau Hollis wrote:....For tiles within a certain radius of the camera.....
What setting controls that "certain radius" ? Is it LOD or something else? Is it user settable in the CFG file?

Thanks for your response.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Looks like the problem you reported here with P3d v3.3.5 , I fly VRS Bug also .. never seen these problems:
http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic ... 90#p141790
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
zap737

Post by zap737 »

Martyson wrote:Looks like the problem you reported here with P3d v3.3.5 , I fly VRS Bug also .. never seen these problems:
http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic ... 90#p141790
No, that problem I seemed to fix by turning Tesselation off.

The problem I am alluding to in this topic (now that the water mountain issue has been resolved) is how far out the tiles are rendered at a given altitude. This is independent of aircraft.

You said you fly the VRS Bug but have never seen these problems, what is your Tesselation setting?
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

My Tessellation is Enabled.

I have never seen the problems you reported in your previous post (that I linked) or this post.
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
zap737

Post by zap737 »

Martyson wrote:My Tessellation is Enabled.

I have never seen the problems you reported in your previous post (that I linked) or this post.
Interesting. Do you have Orbx Global, Orbx Vector and Orbx OpenLC NA & EU installed ?

If you place an aircraft at KSEA and slew it to about 50,000 feet or higher, do you see the rendered terrain tiles stopping short of the horizon in a zig zag pattern like this ?

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/GC6s

If not, what visibility do you have set?
Azzurro

Post by Azzurro »

Interesting. Never seen before.