PAKT runway lights clarification

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
hjsmuc

PAKT runway lights clarification

Post by hjsmuc »

Sorry to bring up an older topic again. As we/you all know ORBX PAKT has no runway lights since Prepar3D 2.5.
ORBX states that this cannot be changed because Prepar3D cannot show lights in a scenery which is built on a mesh.
Is this true? No way to get this rectified? I just want to understand it fully. Thanks.
Mike Jones

Re: PAKT runway lights clarification

Post by Mike Jones »

Hello hjsmuc,

[Post edited by Beau Hollis for clarity]

There are a number of ways to place custom lights using the scenery development and modeling tools provide in our SDK. Most techniques used for legacy FSX scenery still show up properly in Prepar3D. Some older pre-FSX techniques don't always work because the new rendering engine can't exactly replication the legacy model scripting technique without compromising performance. This can sometimes result in artifacts such a model of a runway drawing on top of the model that represents its lights. Changing the draw order for add-on might break anther, so we eventually had to stop making changes and encourage developers to update their content where necessary to use the current SDK.
Michael Jones
Associate Software Engineer
hjsmuc

Re: PAKT runway lights clarification

Post by hjsmuc »

Thank you Mike, while I am not educated enough to understand the underlying technology you confirm what I supposed, it is possible to modify the bgl of this airport to show lights but the developer can't or doesn't want to go the extra yards to make it happen. Pity but not your fault. Maybe someone comes up with a new PAKT some time.