P3d glitching bad when turning

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
flamer

Post by flamer »

Those are not conservative settings.

Do this: Open the sim and select the default settings in the display options.

Go fly.

Does that substantially reduce the stuttering?

Now compare how far you've pushed many sliders beyond that sim-recommended setting.

`Stutter`-ing is a good search term here in the forum. I would grab a coffee, sit back and peruse as many as you can. There are many suggestions here which might help you and your individual case.

Snave

Post by Snave »

Those are not conservative settings.

Do this: Open the sim and select the default settings in the display options.

Go fly.

Does that substantially reduce the stuttering?

Now compare how far you've pushed many sliders beyond that sim-recommended setting.

`Stutter`-ing is a good search term here in the forum. I would grab a coffee, sit back and peruse as many as you can. There are many suggestions here which might help you and your individual case.

No door is closed to an open mind.
Cats open doors...
flamer

Post by flamer »

Believe me, I have read the forums. as I say, I have had this issue since FSX days. I thought it was hardware hence why I did a few upgrades here and there but I am at the point where nothing has worked. I have literally been trying tweaks for the last 12 months to fix this.

Just did another test flight, how are these for conservative settings:

NI: set to default profile

in-game

FXAA: off

MSAA: 2 samples

Text Filtering: trilinear

texture resolution: 512

frames:unlimited

vsync: on with triple buffer

tessellation off

Scenery: All sliders left

weather:

clouds draw left, simple clouds

thermals: none

traffic: all zero

aircraft: default Beechcraft Baron 58

Firstly, it looks terrible, however taking off, smooth, climbing smooth. Turning, stuttery garbage. The performance is exactly the same as previous settings, no better no worse other than it looks bad now.

So something is definitely wrong. Something is a bottleneck.

Kosta

Post by Kosta »

FPS are a little on the low side, but I think the reason for the stutters are unlimited frames. The FPS fluctuation you are seeing is prime reason for stutters you are seeing, in my opinion.

The 2nd would be that P3D is like that. The only way to remove the LAST of the stutters, after your terrain loading engine is doing fine (eg. not fluctuating but limit and STAYS there), would be matching your FPS with the refresh rate of your monitor. However P3D doesn't give that ability or you HAVE to run 60fps stable, which is almost impossible.

So make the best of it: limit the FPS, see that your settings are mid and use it. Can't do better, as your hardware is seemingly OK.
flamer

Post by flamer »

Thanks Kosta, Ill give that a whirl with some different FPS limitations on and report back if it helps.
flamer

Post by flamer »

Ok finally got time to fire this up again.

ALL sliders to the left, deleted .cfg and let it rebuilt it, no mods at all. texture 512, water off. Literally the worst settings you can possibly set. set the ingame frame rate to 25fps and also tried it without.

As you can see it can easily hold 25fps. yet STILL stuttering when banking into a turn. ill admit it doesn't look *that* bad in the video as the size is reduced right down, however its horrible & glitchy, the ground looks all blurry and out of focus its a real headache to watch. as soon as the plane levels out it snaps into smooth flying again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEf80iWXOy4
filippo1974

Post by filippo1974 »

When one makes considerations about how smooth or glitchy a 3D application is, the subjective component is often neglected, thus going to misleading conclusions.

The fact is, that 25 fps are way too low value for an average human to perceive a smooth motion. Since P3D (as many other 3D apps, for that matters) lacks motion blur support, then 25 fps are not enough to give the illusion of a smooth movement. Therefore, when the motion gets faster (tight turns are a typical example) you clearly perceive the stutters. While flying leveled, you only *think* that the stutters have gone away, but this is simply due to the fact that the global motion of the scene has become slower and therefore the stutters are less noticeable.

If you tried to fly at very high speed & very low altitude you will notice glitches & stutters again.

As Kosta said, it is a matter of getting used to it. Unless we come to a situation where our PCs are able to run P3D consistently at 60 fps or above, stutters & glitches will always be part of the experience in the sim. Without motion blur support, 60 fps are an acceptable threshold above which an average human would definitely perceive a smooth motion.

Regards,

Filippo

ATPL frozen - CPL/IR ME
P3D v4
flamer

Post by flamer »

Quote:
Quote from filippo1974 on March 10, 2014, 05:13

When one makes considerations about how smooth or glitchy a 3D application is, the subjective component is often neglected, thus going to misleading conclusions.

The fact is, that 25 fps are way too low value for an average human to perceive a smooth motion. Since P3D (as many other 3D apps, for that matters) lacks motion blur support, then 25 fps are not enough to give the illusion of a smooth movement. Therefore, when the motion gets faster (tight turns are a typical example) you clearly perceive the stutters. While flying leveled, you only *think* that the stutters have gone away, but this is simply due to the fact that the global motion of the scene has become slower and therefore the stutters are less noticeable.

If you tried to fly at very high speed & very low altitude you will notice glitches & stutters again.

As Kosta said, it is a matter of getting used to it. Unless we come to a situation where our PCs are able to run P3D consistently at 60 fps or above, stutters & glitches will always be part of the experience in the sim. Without motion blur support, 60 fps are an acceptable threshold above which an average human would definitely perceive a smooth motion.

Regards,

Filippo

Thats a great theory ..however. How is it then, when I watch another users prepar3d on youtube for example (with the same set of eyes I watch my own with) its "smooth as butter" trust me before posted this, thats exactly what I did, watched hundreds of fsx and p3d videos to see if it was the same for everyone - it is not. I am saying only I seem to have the problem. Not taking a stab at p3d or the level we are at with flight sims. I am sure if anyone were able to compare my sim performance to theirs by using it in person they would notice the issue immediately. Its bad enough to make the game almost unplayable.

I am able to re-run the same test fixing the fps to 60. I cannot sustain that fps, it will jump as low as 49fps however the issue is just as bad. If it were my eyes being too sensitive then double the frame rate should have made the issue a lot better.

I do appreciate your reply though and I am not taking a stab, hopefully you understand its very frustrating :(
overflow

Post by overflow »

These problems coming with 2.1 , 2.0 has others, but not such. I wait an use 2.0
Cellinsky

Post by Cellinsky »

Overall performance is smooth with my system and settings. However since 2.1 hotfix Im getting "rubberbanding" during turns. Im using default terrain with orbx texures. No additional scenery addons. Im using eyefinity setup with 3 monitors, and its very noticable on the peripheral views (monitors). More pronounced in VC, less or nothing in outside views. So I guess it has to do with the reintroduction of legacy code with 2.1...
overflow

Post by overflow »

I use Nvidia surround with 3 Monitors and homecockpit. No flyable.
flamer

Post by flamer »

I had this problem since v2.0.

2.1 and hotfix 1 have made no difference for this issue.
Loke

Post by Loke »

I'm a scenery designer, and often hang in mid air (slew mode) to inspect scenery. It always stutters when turning. This is with 2.1 and moderate settings, R9-280 video card. My sceneries are known to be effective, and made by the FSX/P3D SDK. In FSX I get 50 fps (target) with no stuttering.
flamer

Post by flamer »

Well I monitored my HDD during prepar3d. The process is doing a solid 4MBps so I don't think that could possibly be a bottleneck on any system! Still no luck smoothing it out d'oh.
excalibur67

Post by excalibur67 »

Hi, before i had the same problem and after many tries i found a solution, vsync: On,triple buffering: On AND the aero theme effect enabled. My problem was the aero effect disabled that i forgot to enable it after the installation of my new pc. Because, if i'm not wrong, the aero effect is needed in order to work the vsync. I hope that works also for you. Just my experience.

Giuseppe