[RESOLVED] Linking in Max 2012 into your new P3D SDK

SDK supports Prepar3D’s philosophy of an open development architecture and encourages third parties to bring new innovations with improved add-ons and training content.
lionheart

Post by lionheart »

Hey all,

Here is a basic how-to on linking 3DS Max 2012 into the new Prepar3d SDK tools. Note that the SDK has installation instructions that are better then this. This is only a simplified version of how its done. I suggest the more detailed version in the SDK Literature in the package.

First, if you have a 64bit system/computer, and you have been running Max 2012 32bit (because of the older 32bit only P3D SDK), note that you can now run your 64bit version of Max. If you havent already downloaded the 64bit version from Autodesk, put in a request to get the 64bit and get that installed and running. It will run all of your files (planes and scenery, etc) already that you created in 32bit version Max, so no worries there. So, get your 64bit version running now, first, then continue on.

Open/run Max. Note which version you are using. If you use 32bit or 64bit. (If you have Windows 32bit, then you will continue with the 32bit version of Max).

In Max, go to: Customize/Configure System Paths/3rd Party Addons and click the Add button. There, browse to the Prepar3D SDK folders, locate the version of 3DS Max 2012 you have, click on that folder and then locate and click on the Plugins folder of that version of Max. Note, 'name' this addon, such as Prepar3D SDK 64bit. Click OK. Close down Max. Restart it and you should now have Aces Tools and Aces Documentation at the top on tabs in Max.

You will want to go into the SDK now paruse though how interfacing with the tools in the SDK pack through Max is done.

Note 1: there are some excellent Materials examples with all settings shown that will show you have to create Plexi, Chrome, base materials, etc.

NOTE 2: To find the FlightSimX Material (base material that FSX uses in the SDK), open the Material Manager. Near the top, about half way down, you will find a 'FlightSimX' material. Click on that to add one into your Material Manager Sphere cluster.

NOTE 3: If you are new to the Max 2012 'Slate' version of Material Manager (a nightmare of high technology 'connect this to that' wires and things) note that you can select the old version of Material Manager quite easily. Open up the Material Manager, at the top of its panel, click Modes, click Compact Material Manager Version, and Voila. Old style is back.

Again, if you are new to the newest version of Max, you can paruse TONS of 3DS Max tutorials on YouTube to learn how the new tools work, such as the Graphite tools (rings/loops selection and editing) and the new versions of Mapping tools (such as Pelting and working in the new editing window). Be sure to hunt for YouTube Tutorials that are at least Max 2011 and not over 2012 as you might be shown things that arent in your version of Max. You want Max 2012 tutorials. (Not tutorials for Max9, etc... Totally diff tools technologies).

Have fun!

Bill

WBard

Post by WBard »

GReat tips Bill, I stickied this!
Milivz

Post by Milivz »

Uh... Bill, what about the scripts?

I;m also getting a "dll failed to initialize because it is not a valid 32 bit" blah blah. It's probably because the sdk seems to have installed into the program files (32) but not the program files (64).

suggestions?

Edit: I found, downloaded and installed the 64 bit update... but I'm still getting the errors...
Milivz

Post by Milivz »

Hellooooo? Anyone?
Saul

Post by Saul »

Hi Milviz, just a thought... did you download the 64bit update for the SDK? as the standard SDK download is 32 bit version.

you can find the 64bit patch here http://www.prepar3d.com/wp-content/plug ... php?id=295

You need the latest SKD already installed and to be logged on your account before downloading this patch with is to be copied manually into the SDK

Hi WBard, do you know if the 64bit modelling tool works with the latest 3Dmax 2014?
Milivz

Post by Milivz »

FINALLY. PHEW.

Thanks!
David.gubbins

Post by David.gubbins »

THe MilViz Link does no longer work!

I am having the same Problems with 3DS Max 2014

Anybody kknow a solution

I get teh same dll failed to initialize because it is not a valid 32 bit message

Thanks in advance
Clifton Crane
Lockheed Martin

Post by Clifton Crane »

Hi,

The 3DS Max 2012 plugins have not been tested with 3DS Max 2014, so I cannot say if they will work or not.

Here is the link to the Modeling SDK download that has the latest versions of XtoMDL, as well as 3DS Max 2012 Plugins for both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. It's more of a drag-and-drop update, so you will need to have the full SDK installed already.

http://www.prepar3d.com/wp-content/plug ... php?id=295

- Cheers!
Clifton Crane
Prepar3D® Software Engineer Sr.
lionheart

Post by lionheart »

Sorry Milviz,

I don't come in very often. Just found your request.

Make sure you relinked to the 'new' version 2012 64bit Plugins folder into Max.

This will not work with Max 2014, only 2012. You can get 2012 via the Subscriptions if you have a new edition of Max. Make sure you are running Max in 64 bit mode as well. (There are two versions).

I'll ask Wesley if we can put the entire updated new SDK pack into the main download link so its just one download for the SDK and you have everything in one go.

Bill

LHC

Quagmire

Re: Linking in Max 2012 into your new P3D SDK

Post by Quagmire »

Problem with the 1.4 SDK patch to x64

Where is the new XTOMDL as per the documentation. The only XtoMDL files in the v1.4.6787.0 patch are in the NON x64 plugin directories. The documentation say that the new XtoMDl has a new arguement /WRITETOFILE - the XtoMDL files provided do not accept that arguement and furthermore, the XtoMDL file has still got the 65K limit!

Its not in the patch, anyone got a WORKING link for it please?????
BePrepar3d

Re: [RESOLVED] Linking in Max 2012 into your new P3D SDK

Post by BePrepar3d »

Hi,

could someone please give me a link to download the max 2012 SDK 64bit patch as all links are not working "Download doesn´t exist".
Thanx.
Clifton Crane
Lockheed Martin

Re: [RESOLVED] Linking in Max 2012 into your new P3D SDK

Post by Clifton Crane »

BePrepar3D,

I have updated the links:

http://www.prepar3d.com/wp-content/plug ... php?id=295

Quagmire,

The XtoMDL located in the 3DSM2012 directory is compatible with the 64-bit plugins.
Clifton Crane
Prepar3D® Software Engineer Sr.