Commands over network.

cliff

Postby cliff » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:10 am

Hi,

We are currently using FSX in a portable simulator and due to lots of issues and a need to upgrade to something new we are looking at Prepar3d. However we plan to have an IOS (Instructor Operating Station) which will be a seperate PC and monitor connected via the network to the Prepar3d set-up.

What we need to know is:

1. Can we send commands to Prepar3d via the network using the SDK

2. Will we need to use FSUIPC?

Thanks.

Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Postby Beau Hollis » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:52 am

1. Yes. Most FSX plug-ins/add-ons work with Prepar3D with little or no effort converting as we ship the ESP/FSX SimConnect dll for legacy support. SimConnect for Prepar3D is provided as a lib to avoid runtime dll dependencies, You'll need to update your project to use the latest lib if you want to take advantage of new sdk features.

2. That depends on what commands you are trying to send. If it's not supported by our SDK but is supported by FSUIPC then, yes. There is a version of FSUIPC that works with Prepar3D, but we don't use it internally, nor do we directly support it. Pete Dowson usually puts out an update whenever we release a new version of Prepar3D.

Thanks,

Beau
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect

cliff

Postby cliff » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:31 pm

So if I am understanding this correct when using the SDK the connection to the Prepar3d software will work over a network and thus the commands I send within my code will seem as if they are being sent on the Prepar3d PC.

Basically in the SDK I see that I have to open a connection to Prepar3d to send commands, this open connection will work over the network?

Our current set-up uses FSUIPC and on the slave PC it runs WideClient to solve the network connection and this is the area I want to replicate in the re-write of our software.

Thanks.

Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Postby Beau Hollis » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:50 pm

SimConnect can be configured to pipe commands directly or to send them over the network. This was true even for FSX. If the data you need for the IOS is available vis SimConnect, then you have no need for FSUIPC or WideClient. If you still need some of the features of FSUIPC then you would likely also need WideClient to bypass the network issue. If that is the case, make sure to post the SimConnect feature you need so that we can keep it i mind for future SDK updates.
Beau Hollis

cliff

Postby cliff » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:50 am

Thanks I have found the section in the SDK and after a read I understand how it works so will build some software for the IoS PC and let you know if I need anything extra.

One last question though, is there any difference between the full $400 software and the developer software at $10pcm?

Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Postby Beau Hollis » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:43 am

The functionality is identical, but the usage rights are different. The EULA and developers agreements should explain the terms. The basic idea is that you can build your simulator with a dev license but when you sell it or deploy it for training, you would need a full retail license.
Beau Hollis

Return to “Software Development Kit (SDK) Questions”