Change map background on custom GPS

Barney_LM

Change map background on custom GPS

Postby Barney_LM » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:44 am

Hope you're well

Basically I am trying to change the map background of my custom gps.xml to my own map data. The file format is GEOTIFF.

Reading through my gps.xml I have found the property <DetailLayerTerrain>3</DetailLayerTerrain>

However this only has three options.

Is there a way of changing the GPS map background data and setting it to the directory of my custom GEOTIFF data?

Regards,
Barney

Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Re: Change map background on custom GPS

Postby Beau Hollis » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:35 pm

Not directly no. The built in layers are drawn using data from our runtime scenery and terrain data loaded in via bgl. There are a number of ways this could be accomplished using the SDK, but all require some custom code for loading your geotiff and correlating it with the map region. You can could load the tif files and draw them into a custom layer. The Custom Nav Draw sample shows how the basic setup would work. You could also use directx/PDK to render into a texture and use a Texture xml element behind your map. We have some developers doing this for custom 3d map displays. Scaleform may also work, but I'm not sure if scaleform/flash can import a geotiff directly.
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect

Barney_LM

Postby Barney_LM » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:14 am

Awesome I will take a look.

You mentioned BGL. If I was to convert my GEOTIFFs to BGL using something like resample.exe and then load them into the Scenery Library, would I be able to see this in my gps.xml?

Would this be a more straightforward solution?

Brady Butler
Lockheed Martin

Postby Brady Butler » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:56 pm

Hello Barney,

I believe the post from Beau (linked below) covers a similar topic. Does his response answer what you need?

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 44#p177944

Regards,
Brady
Brady Butler
Prepar3D® Software Engineer

Return to “Software Development Kit (SDK) Questions”