Simconnect for selecting airport/location

jamcd787

Simconnect for selecting airport/location

Postby jamcd787 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:14 pm

Simconnect (and simdirector) can set weather and other parameters, but I cannot find a way to select an airport using it's ICAO code + airport location - like KHWD 28L or Alpha taxiway, etc. This interface is offered through an on-screen menu, but is there a way to access it (database?) through Simconnect or Sim Controls?
thanks,
jim

obinder

Re: Simconnect for selecting airport/location

Postby obinder » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:02 am

Hello Jim,

As far as SimConnect is concerned: no.
Which is why all addons related to navigation rely on MakeRunways or their own custom BGL decompiler to get that information from the scenery library in advance and keep it in their own database.

The running 3D simulation doesn't have this information. It just barely knows about the airports in your reality bubble, and that information isn't even accurate. In my experience when you query the airport list, you only get the ICAOs that are in the cache. So an airport could be as close as 30nm, but you don't get it in the query. And the one you are currently on is missing most of the time anyway.

Best regards
Oliver Binder
Lorby-SI

jamcd787

Postby jamcd787 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:21 am

Oliver,

Thanks very much for your reply. I understood it was something like this. I found a database file that has the coordinates of all airports listed by latitude/longitude but these place you in the center of the runway complex. As you said, the local detailed information is in the terrain files.
So MakeRunways is a utility you sell for developers? Would that provide us with the ability to search the database and position aircraft?
Thanks again,
jim

obinder

Postby obinder » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:12 am

Hello Jim,

MakeRunways is a free tool made by Pete Dowson. You can find it in the same place where his FSUIPC is downloaded from. It parses the scenery library of a simulator installation and produces easy to process CSV-type files for various features(runways, taxiways, parking positions).

The issue here is, that the simulator scenery is not static. It doesn't make any sense for a developer to run MakeRwys on his computer and derive a product from that information - this would only cover his own scenery! For a customer, the scenery can be different, every addon airport has its own taxi/parking/runway information. Or the customer may have airports that are not present in the default scenery at all.
So the usual way is to let the customer run the MakeRwys tool on his computer to generate the meta files and then to process those.
Or to write your own BGL decompiler and parse the scenery library of the customers sim.

Best regards
Oliver Binder
Lorby-SI

Return to “SimConnect Interface Questions”