xtomdl conversion

For topics related to the creation of simulation objects (SimObjects). This includes development of aircraft, ground, and maritime vehicles.
terra.elzie

Postby terra.elzie » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:56 am

I am having difficulty converting a .x file to .mdl format. The xtomdl.exe tool gives "not in trangle list" error. I assume it means "triangle list". How do I fix this problem? Please help.

Legacy Support

Postby Legacy Support » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:17 am

Hi,

Unfortunately I am a bit behind in this area, however I have forwarded on the issue internally. I know that there are some experts in modelling in the forum that might be able to assist before I get an answer back. Anyone?

John

N4GIX

Postby N4GIX » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:07 pm

More information is needed before any advice can be offered other that simply a WAG... :)

What type of model, scenery or aircraft?

What OS do you use?

Have you verified your export configuration and SDK setup by simply exporting a single polygon?
Bill Leaming
Modeler and Programmer
Military Visualizations

terra.elzie

Postby terra.elzie » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:33 pm

An aircraft model, MS XP OS, exporting to a .x file seems to work ok, but I still get errors when I run xtomdl.exe and the resulting mdl file is empty.

N4GIX

Postby N4GIX » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:22 pm

Well, what I meant by "exporting" included the necessary step of compilation, but I wasn't all that clear though, was I? <blush>

Here are some links to FS-Developer Wiki articles. The first is to the SDK Installation, which although for FSX does have some translational relevance to the Prepar3D SDK as well.

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=SDK

This next link covers the xtomdl.exe configuration and parameter usage:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=XtoMDL

This last article is one I authored, and everyone who's used the system I've described and illustrated has reportedly had excellent results.
Bill Leaming
Modeler and Programmer
Military Visualizations

Return to “Simulation Object Development Questions”