Missing FSX Material.ms

For topics related to the creation of simulation objects (SimObjects). This includes development of aircraft, ground, and maritime vehicles.
Simon Law

Postby Simon Law » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:50 pm

Hi,

I have been exploring bringing in my own A/C into Prepar3D, seems the SDK from Lockheed is missing the FSXMaterial.ms from the original M/S FSX SDK.

At this moment, I still couldn't load Lockheed's new SDK for Max 9 into Max 9. Anyone having some advice will be helpful.

The message I get now is This tool is currently not supported. I have created a separate pluging.ini file but still the Aces Tools menu will not run any scripts.

I found an error in the SetupAcesRoot.ms pointing the global acesScripts folder to the 3DSM7 directory, after changing to the correct directory, the tools still wont load.

I will try again tomorrow with Max 7.. and in the menatime I will look through the ms scripts in the Max 9 folder and see if I can see what else I can explore.

If anyone has a workaround and manage to load the toolsets into max 9 , please let me know.

For now I got the FSX Material showing up in Max 9... :D

Sigh..

Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Postby Beau Hollis » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:29 am

I'll see if we can have someone try to track that down. In the meantime, there probably aren't any drawbacks to using the the FSX or ESP tool-set as a workaround. While we have made some changes to how models are processed at runtime, we haven't made any changes to the model format itself. Models created with the FSX/ESP tools should work fine with Prepar3D as long as you're not building models with the old FS9 format.

Beau
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect

N4GIX

Postby N4GIX » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:08 pm

1. The Max9 scripts depend on many of the Max7 scripts, so you did not -in fact- "find an error."

2. The critical entry point is this global declaration, which checks Max9's configuration to determine the absolute path to the SDK's "plugins" folder:

Code:

global acesPluginDir = maxUtils.getPluginPath() as stringStream

If Max9 or Max2008 isn't configured correctly, everything below will fail.

3. The next proximate point of failure is that the SetupAcesRoot.ms script was never edited to point to the Prepar3D Registry entry!

Code:

if doesFileExist (acesPluginRoot + "Scripts") then
(
global acesScriptsFolder = ((maxUtils.getRegKey "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft ESP\1.0\SDK" "SDKRootDir") + "Environment Kit\\Modeling SDK\\3DSM7\\Scripts")
global acesArtTools = ((maxUtils.getRegKey "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft ESP\1.0\SDK" "SDKRootDir") + "Environment Kit\\Modeling SDK\\bin\\")
)

4. The final point of failure is that the Registry entry for Prepar3D is incomplete. Note that the script quoted above is looking for a key named "SDKRootDir" which - doesn't exist!

Because of the way the Prepar3D SDK is organized, the "SDKRootDir" is actually the same path as the "SetupPath" key, whereas both FSX and ESP SDK's have an additional folder level named "..\SDK" which was the reason they require the additional Registry key...

5. My suggestion would be to simply edit the SetupAcesRoot.ms script to check for the single Prepar3D Registry key "SetupPath" instead of "SDKRootDir," and remove the non-existent SDK\\ from the string.
Bill Leaming
Modeler and Programmer
Military Visualizations

N4GIX

Postby N4GIX » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:12 pm

I should have added that if one has the ESP SDK installed, because of the incorrect SetupAcesRoot.ms script, Max7, Max8, Max9, and Max2008 will all work "correctly" but...

...will actually be using the ESP SDK and not the Prepar3D SDK!!!

Note: Because of the incomplete instructions in every SDK (FSX, ESP, and Prepar3D) regarding any Max past Max7, I've spent far too many hours pouring over the scripts to "figure out the madness!" :o
Bill Leaming
Modeler and Programmer
Military Visualizations

Simon Law

Postby Simon Law » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:06 pm

Hi,

Yes I found out that if I point my plugin to the original ESP folder which I couldnt find available from msdn but got it from another forum.., everything works fine in Max 9 now but using esp's files... I saw the entry in the SetupAcesRoot.ms yesterday after posting

I am quite decent with maxscript..... I will try to patch it back into the installation directory for Lockheed Martin folder, when I dont have to build gauges and model C-130s...

Thanks thanks to all the helpful reply..

For Max 9, there is a new shader in the esp installation so I guess we dont really have to use the one from Max 7 too....

N4GIX

Postby N4GIX » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:10 am

I'm glad you have it (sort of) working now. Like yourself, I too have far too much real work that needs to "get done". I really don't have time to spend fixing what never should have been broken to begin with... :)

Unlike yourself, I am not really all that familiar with maxscript, but having been working with numerous programming languages for the past forty-five years, have been able to trace out what I needed to know.

It seems to me that ACES pretty much just "put lipstick on the pig" with regards to the SDK and maxscripts with regards to Max9 support... <lol>
Bill Leaming
Modeler and Programmer
Military Visualizations

Simon Law

Postby Simon Law » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:46 am

Just a quick question for anyone looking into this post. I just start flying my C-130H in Prepar3D with internal cockpit and external/internal texture assembled from flight manuals and whatever photos and even bought an Italeri model to build one from scratch. In all this is one month from zero working a 5 days week. I have the barebone gauges and its flying but all the gauges are there just needed the logic in. Am I too slow?

What's a decent time? It seems my bosses are dropping Prepar3D saying I am taking too long. This is all a one man show now...building model, texturing, baking, logic, panel artwork for 2D and Virtual are all done up. etc

What is the decent turnaround of zero to where I describe now in a production environment?

I really want to continue to the finish line with Prepar3D.

Simon

N4GIX

Postby N4GIX » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:00 pm

All I can say is that based on my own experience, no you are not "working too slow." Even after nearly fifteen years of said experience, it takes far more than a month to produce a completed product, assuming that there are no stumbling block along the way, and that the Demon Murphy is kept at bay.

It's not at all unusual for even Eaglesoft Development Group projects to take up to a full year from zero to release, despite having a team of four to six working on it!

If the bosses drop Prepar3D, what are their alternatives? As far as I am aware there aren't any COTS solutions available.
Bill Leaming
Modeler and Programmer
Military Visualizations

Simon Law

Postby Simon Law » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:11 pm

Xplane....

Sigh.

FSMP

Postby FSMP » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:39 am

What makes your boss think (?) that development would be any faster in Xplane ?

You are already well up the learning curve with P3D.

A "decision" to starting all over again in Xplane would seem to indicate that you might be working for the Government :P

Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Postby Beau Hollis » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:01 am

That sounds like great progress to me - especially if this is your first model and gauge set. I've played with some of the addon C130 models for FSX, and there are a LOT of gauges to actuate.
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect

N4GIX

Postby N4GIX » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:29 pm

Quote:

Quote from Exocet on February 13, 2011, 20:11

Xplane....

Sigh.

Good heavens! That takes even longer to create for...

Worse still, it's a constantly moving target.
Bill Leaming
Modeler and Programmer
Military Visualizations

N4GIX

Postby N4GIX » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:32 pm

Quote:

Quote from FSMP on February 14, 2011, 08:39

What makes your boss think (?) that development would be any faster in Xplane ?

You are already well up the learning curve with P3D.

A "decision" to starting all over again in Xplane would seem to indicate that you might be working for the Government :P

Ah yes! "We know you've spent the last month or so learning German, but we've decided that we want you to learn Chinese instead. :o
Bill Leaming
Modeler and Programmer
Military Visualizations

Legacy Support

Postby Legacy Support » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:38 pm

Quote:

Ah yes! "We know you've spent the last month or so learning German, but we've decided that we want to to learn Chinese instead. :o

... because we are posting you to Brazil....

FSMP

Postby FSMP » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:14 pm

Quote:

Quote from N4GIX on February 14, 2011, 15:32

Ah yes! "We know you've spent the last month or so learning German, but we've decided that we want you to learn Chinese instead. :o

And that would be another 'WONG' decision ;)

Geoff

Return to “Simulation Object Development Questions”