[RESOLVED] differential_braking_scale problem.

For topics related to the creation of simulation objects (SimObjects). This includes development of aircraft, ground, and maritime vehicles.
ctroncy

[RESOLVED] differential_braking_scale problem.

Post by ctroncy »

Bonjour,
It seems that in the aircraft configuration file the parameter differential_braking_scale in the [brakes] section has no effect.
I set it to 0.0 in the default Iris Raptor Driver, and that should result in no differential brakes, but that doesn't work.
Can anybody confirm this.
Thanks a lot.
Claude
JB3DG

Re: differential_braking_scale problem.

Post by JB3DG »

I think all that value does is affect how much power you have for differential braking vs symmetrical braking.
Jonathan Bleeker
Milviz systems dev

Formerly known as Naruto-kun
ctroncy

Post by ctroncy »

Hi Jonathan,
Thank you for your answer.

Here is what can be find in the SDK documentation.
Differential braking is a function of the normal both brakes on and the rudder pedal input. The amount of difference between the left and right brake is scaled by this value. 1.0 is the normal setting if differential braking is desired (particularly on tailwheel airplanes). 0.0 is the setting if no differential braking is desired.
If the value is 0 does it mean that right and left brake are always equal ? How is calculate the final result ? is it the average between left and right
Honestly it is not clear for me.
Thanks
Claude
JB3DG

Post by JB3DG »

0 means no differential braking is possible, and differential brake commands will result in symmetrical brakes. 1.0 means you have the full difference between no brake and full brake factor for any differential brake command.
Jonathan Bleeker
Milviz systems dev

Formerly known as Naruto-kun
ctroncy

Post by ctroncy »

0 means no differential braking is possible, and differential brake commands will result in symmetrical brakes
For me it is not working like that, that's why I think there is a problem with this parameter.
Thanks
Claude
Mike Schroeter
Lockheed Martin

Post by Mike Schroeter »

To be clear, this differential braking functionality is specific to the normal "both" braking input. For example, the period key ('.') is by default mapped to both brakes. Holding that key and deflecting the rudder will be affected by the differential scalar.

However, this does not have any impact on differential braking when input by actual left and right brakes, such as separate brake pedal hardware. The aircraft will react as expected.

The "differential_braking_scalar" was designed as a user assist for those using a single input for braking rather than a physics tuning parameter.

Hope this helps,
Mike
ctroncy

Post by ctroncy »

Hi Mike,

Yes it helps...I did not see it like that. Thank you for the clarification.
As it is not so easy for me to apply the same amount of brake (left and right) on my pedal hardware, I thought I could tune this with this parameter.
Again thanks
Claude