Hard skin for ships

For topics related to the creation of simulation objects (SimObjects). This includes development of aircraft, ground, and maritime vehicles.
degeus

Hard skin for ships

Postby degeus » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:50 pm

Hello,
We have nice aircraft that can carry a torpedo (Swordfish, Baracuda etc), we have nice torpedo's that have an explosion effect (in MISC) and we have nice ships that could be torpedoed.
However, when launching a torpedo (as droppable object) the torpedo passes right through the ships and only explodes when it hits a shore.
Now my question is: How can we specify something into a model of a ship so that its sides are hard in order to realize the explosion-effect?
Who has a solution for this or knows a ship that has this property already?
with kind regards,
Piet de Geus
Piet de Geus
Netherlands

dsdawson

Re: Hard skin for ships

Postby dsdawson » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:00 pm

You might try arming your torpedoes with proximity fuses. If they get to within X meters of a ship, they will explode.
You would need to make the calculations somewhere (gauge, module, external app) but it should be completely do-able.
Doug

nunweilr

Re: Hard skin for ships

Postby nunweilr » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:15 am

I believe the issue with the model. If it has "hard sides," the torpedo, I think, would explode when it makes contact with the ship. ModelConverterX can specify "hard sides" (platform) in a model. Some developers do not allow any modifications to their models or, at least, want some type of contact to give permission to modify their creation.

Return to “Simulation Object Development Questions”