The dreaded crash box.....

Discussion related to terrain/scenery design.
aussiecop

Postby aussiecop » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:18 pm

Hi guys,

I am hoping that someone can steer me in the right way, granted I have only glanced over the SDK and not specifically on this issue (insert lazy reference anytime lol) but I have a customer who wants to specifically use crash detection on for a helicopter sim. Anyone who has flown a helicopter and for that matter a fixed wing in FSX knows that crash detection boxes are usually enormously oversized in relation to the actual item that they surround. I am wanting to know if there is any code that I can use to make custom crash boxes that mirror the exact side of the objects or at least are somewhat closer to the actual object.

The issue you have in a helicopter is as you are usually in close proximity to buildings and such both on take off and approach, more so than fixed wings in both situations and it is in no way realistic to have your rotors 25 feet from a building yet FSX/P3D registers that you have crashed into the obstacle. This is not saying that it would have to be inclusive to the whole sim environment but something that can be customized on a small area for instance a custom made landing area at a specific airport.

Cheers,

scruffyduck

Postby scruffyduck » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:37 am

I think you would need to get this modified in the actual object. So perhaps some custom 3D buildings for the specific area and make sure the designer sets the crash box accordingly. I am no expert on £D design but I think the crash box for any object is probably a cube. However objects made up from a number of smaller items (that are placed correctly together) may allow a more accurate setup. On the other hand I might be talking total rubbish......

aussiecop

Postby aussiecop » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:50 am

Well thanks either way for replying Scruffyduck, love ADE btw :)

Return to “Scenery Development Questions”