Add-on scenery compatibility with FSX

Discussion related to terrain/scenery design.
Pete Dowson

Post by Pete Dowson »

Quote:
Does the Ultimate terrain add on use a custom terrain.cfg for FSX? You mentioned in the original post that you used your FSX scenery.cfg file.

Good question. I didn't copy it and I don't know. But if it does need one, would that only make two BGLs out of hundreds cause a crash, do you think?

Quote:
You also mentioned some textures were copied from only the main texture folder? For the type of data which is causing it to crash, this is the folder where the railroad textures for example would be stored by default:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D\scenery\World\texture

Right. No, I didn't add anything there.

Quote:
You might try merging your FSX texture folder from that location with Prepar3D and try again.

Good idea! I will!

Thanks,

Pete

My System

Win10: 22H2 build 19045.2728
Processor: I9 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Mobo: Maximus XI Extreme Z390
Memory: 32Gb at 3900 MHz.
GPU: RTX 24Gb Titan
Displays: 2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen
P3D5 set with 2 windows using ViewGroups
aussiecop

Post by aussiecop »

Pete,

As I said earlier I am no scenery expert, but I also work for Orbx (On the aircraft side of course) while the orbx scenery is currently being patched for P3D I am growing tired of doing my own testing in default landclass, any chance you can email me exactly how you routed your fsx scenery addons to P3D so I can do the same? my email is ryan@nemeth designs.com
Pete Dowson

Post by Pete Dowson »

Quote:
any chance you can email me exactly how you routed your fsx scenery addons to P3D

I already always make sure all of my FSX SCENERY.CFG added entries give the complete path to the scenery folders, like "E:\FSX\Addon Scenery\..." So to use them in P3D all I needed to do was cut and paste the entire part of the FSX Scenery.CFG file to the end of the default part of the P3D file. This is instead of leaving the relative path (just "Addon Scenery\ ...". I have many sceneries installed outside of the FSX folder in any case, so this is never too hard a chore.

I also merged the FSX main Texture folder into the P3D one, and, as per recommendation above, I will be doing the same for the World\Texture folder.

Regards

Pete

My System

Pete Dowson

Post by Pete Dowson »

I've just managed to get around to re-testing.

Quote:
Does the Ultimate terrain add on use a custom terrain.cfg for FSX? You mentioned in the original post that you used your FSX scenery.cfg file.

I've updated the P3D Terrain.CFG file to include the extra stuff from my FSX Terrain.CFG file.

Quote:
You also mentioned some textures were copied from only the main texture folder? For the type of data which is causing it to crash, this is the folder where the railroad textures for example would be stored by default:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D\scenery\World\texture

You might try merging your FSX texture folder from that location with Prepar3D and try again.

I've also done that.

Everything loads if those two BGLs are removed. With them included there is always a "Stackhash" crash when going to many places in Europe (including EGCC, using UK2000 Manchester Extreme scenery).

I have obtained more details by using ProcMon:

RR54713.BGL crashes P3D just after it has read 4096 bytes from file offset 49152.

RTP4712.BGL crashes P3D just after it has read 1546 bytes from file offset 8192.

(All numbers in decimal).

Without those two BGLs, no crashes, as before.

Regards

Pete

My System