Adding 3d buildings to photoreal scenery

Discussion related to terrain/scenery design.
ebsloop

Postby ebsloop » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:46 pm

I have read a several forums about adding/creating 3d custom buildings to photoreal scenery. I was curious if anyone has any suggestions for this process. Here is a screenshot of a section of Los Angeles, CA.

I'm satisfied with the terrain, it would be nice to be able to add custom 3d buildings.

s1Fhv.jpg

v/r

ebsloop

BG2518

Postby BG2518 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:47 pm

Now, there HAS to be a way to import the 3D Buildings that Google Eath shows into P3D...

SURELY ????

I recall making a few for import into GE via Google Sketchup a few years back but my brain has shrivelled up since and I'd have to work a bit to recall what I was doing to see if this could help.

BG2518 - Bob.

rfputtini

Postby rfputtini » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:58 pm

Yes, it would be awesome to have the custom buildings from Google Earth into P3D. As far as I have serched, it's quite difficult if you don't have the original sketchup files used to make the buildings, so contacting the autors of the objects would be an obligatory task before doing anything. I wonder if these objects already have their final coordinates built inside, so transforming them into a big bgl file would be "easy", if not, getting those objetcs into something that could be imported inside a software like Airport Design Editor, then placed over a scenery.

Unfortunately I didn't went far enough in my research, so right now I'm stuck into using the Autogen Annotator tool to place objects over photoreal scenery...
Raphael Puttini

pmb

Postby pmb » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:52 pm

Hi,

as far as I know, Sketchup buildings will be vanishing from Google Earth over time. Google is in a process of replacing them by their own 3D buildings based on (sort of stereoscopic) aerial images transformed into a spatial mesh overlay. This already led some Sketchup developers to remove their creations in advance. As an example, the present 3D Google Earth Vancouver is no longer Sketchup based but Google aerial image based.

In this process Google sold Sketchup to Trimble.

I know this as my son photographed and modeled quite a lot of Sketchup buildings which he all witdrew now. This is a real shame given that Google made contests for the best buildings etc. formerly, now simply to trash them. As always in such cases, we can do little about this.

Maybe, I got a few details wrong and someone can correct, but the gist schould be true.

Kind regards, Michael
Prepar3d4+5 Pro // Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung2 SSD 500 GB + SSD 1 TB + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64

ejwells409

Postby ejwells409 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:40 pm

If you're looking for a way to capture an entire cityscape into one bgl. . .I doubt there's anything like that, especially anything that would render them in an acceptable resolution so they didn't look like a bunch of poorly rendered boxes. I have used Sketchup for about a year and a half now and have done some very detailed sceneries using the 3D models I created. Placement is done with Instant Scenery 3. ADE is a good program, but leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to object placement. Also, using Instant Scenery 3 you have a large library of default buildings and objects already available to you within the sim. Those would be more than adequate for what you want, however, understand that this is a single placement program for the most part. You choose a building and place it. . .choose another, place it and so on. It does have the ability to select a group and copy and paste as well. . .you just have to first place enough individual buildings to make it worthwhile.

Return to “Scenery Development Questions”