Spotlight effect disappears at certain view angle

Discussion related to terrain/scenery design.
mole_man99

Spotlight effect disappears at certain view angle

Post by mole_man99 »

Before I start a big forensic investigation of my own, just wondering if others have or now of issues with dynamic spotlights showing.

V4.3

Creating a static dynamic light with fx_tool has no issue. If I make it a spotlight, then on development pc which is near default install, it works well, but on my flying pc it does not show at most view angles.

I do have ezdok on that pc. Wondering if there is an issue with add-on camera types that others may have when distributing the scenery.
mole_man99

Re: Spotlight effect disappears at certain view angle

Post by mole_man99 »

I notice if I zoom in they appear more. Zoom level 2.0 or more. Some sort of camera clipping plane issue?

I turned off ezdok and used the default camera.cfg file, but it does not improve.
timkikly

Post by timkikly »

ive found one thing that seems to help, if you change the dynamic lights amount in the .cfg from 250 up to 2000

MAX_POINT_LIGHTS=250
MAX_SPOT_LIGHTS=250

change to 2000 each....
not saying it will fix this but ive noticed a change myself..... watching this topic closely
mole_man99

Post by mole_man99 »

Yes it appears to be a limit issue.

I noticed the light switching off alot at a Small airport (KBUR Burbank), surely no issue with overload I thought. However KLAX is over the hill and with 100% AI, I have 350 AI in action sometimes. Getting the AI down to 150 or less seems to solve it.

I then tried upping the cfg entry to a cowardly 300. No difference. Will try some excessive figures and see if the performance hit is acceptable.

Would be nice if LM could introduce a proximity slider for Dynamic lights. There is no need for them to be active on AI several miles away at another airport, when you want to see lights at your immediate location only. The special effects distance slider did not seem to help.