Sketchup >P3d Tutorial

Discussion related to terrain/scenery design.
adamjedgar

Postby adamjedgar » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:33 pm

Hi guys,

I havent done any modelling for about 2 years...and am one of those folks who, after not having done something for a while, now has a black hole where all of the appropriate information was once stored inside his head :(

A little personal background

1. I dont use 3dsmax...more of a blender fan (obviously price has a lot to do with this...blender is freem but i also like it better too)

2. I am just getting back into using Sketchup

3. I have just downloaded and installed P3d v2

Considering the above....

I would like to simply obtain a model from sketchup's online model database and import that into P3D v2 (i wish to add some local landmarks to add into my P3D v2 scenery)

I haven't a clue where to go in order to achieve that these days. To add insult to injury, the old way i know for achieving my goal is thwated by My Norton 360 antivirus software...it instantly removes any of Model Converter X's executables (even when i go into settings and choose it as safe).

How do i go about getting a Sketchup model into P3D v2?

minime

Postby minime » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:50 am

Remove Norton 360 Antivirus or use a different ModelConverter. :)

kandoit

Postby kandoit » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:41 am

hope this helps................

Go to Tasks > View Security History. Check in quarantine if you have the deleted file, and try to restore it. You can add the file/folder to the Scan Exclusion list, here are the exact steps:

- Start Norton 360.

- Click Settings.

- Click Antivirus.

- On the Scans and Risks tab, under Exclusion/Low Risks, click Configure next to Items to Exclude from Scans.

- In the Scan Exclusions window, click Add.

- Browse and select the disk drive or folder or file you would like to exclude and click OK.

- If you want to include subfolders within the folder, check Include Subfolders.

- Click OK.

- In the Scan Exclusions window, click Apply > OK.

- On the Scans and Risks tab, under Exclusion/Low Risks, click Configure next to Items to Exclude from Auto-Protect and SONAR Detection.

- In the Auto-Protect and SONAR Exclusions window, click Add.

- Browse and select the disk drive or folder or file you would like to exclude and click OK.

- If you want to include subfolders within the folder, check Include Subfolders.

- Click OK.

- In the Auto-Protect and SONAR Exclusions window, click Apply > OK.

- In the Settings window, click Apply > Close.

adamjedgar

Postby adamjedgar » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:46 am

ahhhh...what a list eh?

I forgot to configure the sonar detection. I did the part to stop it from being included in scan list...even tried removing norton, installing model converter and then reinstalling norton. Blasted program removed the model converter as soon as i attempted to run it.

I am starting to lose faith in paid antivirus software...i am in the middle of removing a real bad virus from my system at the moment. I figured i would simply buy a new hdd (wanted to try out an ssd for the first time anyway)...got the ssd installed and up and running with prepar3dv2...and lo, 2 weeks later i now realise the virus has got into my bios. Absolutely a nightmare to get out of bios. As soon as i tried to enter bios, got a blank bios screen...if i tried to enter the bios flash utility, lost keyboard and mouse immediately (making it impossible to start the flash process). In the end, i had to flash bios in windows first, shut down immediately...remove every piece of hardware off the motherboard (including battery, all cards, ram, and CPU), reset cmos whilst power cable was unplugged and holding power button on...only then could i boot into bios and reset it to defaults (and select reflash boot device). Now im in the process of reformatting the hdd again to start over again. So much for the antivirus software...proves to me there is no substitute for ones own discretion in choosing what they download. ( i made a bad choice and paid dearly for it)

Sorry about the above being offtopic, however, perhaps someone else will encounter a nasty bios virus like this and find my solution (given to me by an IT professional) useful.

Anyway, back on to model converter...i managed to work out how to get it working with nortons (stumbled across some of the points you made myself)...i have now realised, getting images from sketchup into prepar3dv2 is absolutely easy as! I simply eport as collada, open the wizard in model converter, select the file location to convert, prepra3dv2 addon scenery folder as location to send to...and voila...job done!

I do have questions however...how are the following determined in the process?

1. north orientation

2. elevation

ejwells409

Postby ejwells409 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:41 am

As per your questions, I believe both are default. For sure the elevation is, unless the person who built the original model designated otherwise. Models are normally built to "0" altitude. As for orientation, not sure how important that is really, I use Instant Scenery 3 for object placement, so orientation is easily corrected if it's not facing correctly. If someone uses ADE, which is fine but lacks the WYSIWYG ability of IS3, then placement is hit and miss. Personally, if I had to use ADE for all my scenery placement needs I'd shoot myself, lol.

Return to “Scenery Development Questions”