A little help getting started?

Discussion related to terrain/scenery design.
Easton

A little help getting started?

Post by Easton »

Hey guys,

A little summary first. I'm 20 years old and going to college for Coputer Aided Drafting and Design, then probably going into the military as a pilot when I get out. However in the meantime I would like to create sceneries for P3D.

This being such a small community there isn't a lot of information on where or how to start. I am working on CAD right now and 3D modeling, but I don't know where the next step is to putting it in the Simulator precisely such as Orbx and Turbulent Designs do. How do these companies insert all of their CAD 3D models and textures into P3D and make it look so seamless?

This is my primary question for now. I am eaten up with my sim and use it for training all the time, and I'm going to school for CAD and eventually want to create sceneries on par with the big guys. They started from the same place I did, wondering where and how to get my foot in the door and get started.

My first plan is to get really good at 3D modeling and texturing, then proceed to taking a drone or use satellite imagery of my local Airport which I think would be perfect for P3D. Take pictures of the airport from buildings to runways, straight down shots for textures and close ups then one from straight up (I know the manager just in case someone is wondering by now) then making my accurate models and texturing them. Then somehow putting it into the Simulator.

I'm a perfectionist and I definitely want to end up creating professional scenery, anyone willing to help and provide some information will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Easton
nealmac

Re: A little help getting started?

Post by nealmac »

What software are you using for modelling? By "CAD" I assume you are talking about Building Information Modelling software, such as Autodesk Revit, or something similar? CAD is becoming pretty much obsolete in the world of architectural design, as is any other form of 2D draughting. Revit has completely blown it out of the water, as it uses the BIM integration system.

For the type of modeling you're talking about, Autodesk 3D Studio Max is what most people use, at least in my experience. It's not so much about the actual modelling. The modelling itself uses very basic shapes, in order to keep performance at an optimum. It's more to do with using advanced textures to give the impression of complicated models.

So what I'm trying to say, is that these companies don't use CAD or BIM models as you seem to think.
Best Regards,

Neal McCullough.
Easton

Post by Easton »

nealmac wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:28 am What software are you using for modelling? By "CAD" I assume you are talking about Building Information Modelling software, such as Autodesk Revit, or something similar? CAD is becoming pretty much obsolete in the world of architectural design, as is any other form of 2D draughting. Revit has completely blown it out of the water, as it uses the BIM integration system.

For the type of modeling you're talking about, Autodesk 3D Studio Max is what most people use, at least in my experience. It's not so much about the actual modelling. The modelling itself uses very basic shapes, in order to keep performance at an optimum. It's more to do with using advanced textures to give the impression of complicated models.

So what I'm trying to say, is that these companies don't use CAD or BIM models as you seem to think.

Hey Neal

Right now I'm just using AutoCAD then I'm going to move to 3DSMax or Maya, I started not long ago so I still have a lot to learn but I've gone from making some basic 2d models to 3D with textures in less than a few days so I'm getting the hang of it.

One of my main concerns as of now is figuring out how some scenery companies put it all into the sim and have it all interconnected so flawlessly.

Another thing that I have been trying to figure out and this is probably the first step, where do they get their Satellite imagery from or aerial photos from to work with and place everything where it's supposed to go almost exactly.

Thank you for the reply
aeronauta

Post by aeronauta »

Easton , you would want to read and digest all the info provided by LM in the Learning Centre and the SDK...(software development kit) in the root P3D (\Prepar3d V4\learningcentre.chm) or download from LM.

Jorge
Jorge Roldan
OZx Developer (aero) - Hovercontrol Helicopter Certified Pilot - Spad.Next Beta Tester - VATPAC Pilot PR
System i9-9990 4.7Ghz 32GB W11 Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 8GB
nealmac

Post by nealmac »

Easton wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:21 pm
nealmac wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:28 am What software are you using for modelling? By "CAD" I assume you are talking about Building Information Modelling software, such as Autodesk Revit, or something similar? CAD is becoming pretty much obsolete in the world of architectural design, as is any other form of 2D draughting. Revit has completely blown it out of the water, as it uses the BIM integration system.

Hey Neal

Right now I'm just using AutoCAD then I'm going to move to 3DSMax or Maya, I started not long ago so I still have a lot to learn but I've gone from making some basic 2d models to 3D with textures in less than a few days so I'm getting the hang of it.

One of my main concerns as of now is figuring out how some scenery companies put it all into the sim and have it all interconnected so flawlessly.

Another thing that I have been trying to figure out and this is probably the first step, where do they get their Satellite imagery from or aerial photos from to work with and place everything where it's supposed to go almost exactly.

Thank you for the reply
Sounds like you're on the right path. So best of luck with it, and hopefully we'll see some of your creations in the not too distant future if you're willing to share with the world?

I'm not sure how these developers get their imagery. Licensing is obviously a huge deal when it comes to this sort of thing. I'm sure some other forum members will be able to advise you on this issue.

As for getting the models into P3D, Jorge has pretty much nailed the steps you need to take.
Best Regards,

Neal McCullough.
Easton

Post by Easton »

Hey guys thanks for the replies. Right now I am working overtime on logistics while I practice making some 3d models and texturing. I have 3dsMax, Photoshop, and the SDK, now I am looking at where I can find GIS data and I think Global Mapper will work well as Turbulent Designs uses it.

Once I get all of my ducks in a row I will start creating the scenery and placing it into the sim, but I wont start until I feel like it will be able to compete with Orbx and TD at least set it at a lower price point, they want too much for their sceneries imo (then again I'm in school and those guys are full timers haha).

I have one extra question if anyone can help, I hate programing, will I have to do any and if so how much?

On a side note, I wish flightsim sceneries could be made with this! http://planetside.co.uk/terragen-feature-tour/

Edit: Actually, does anyone have any insight on text files? That's something I need to find out as well. Oh and in case anyone is wondering the airport I will start on, it is ICAO F12, Texas and the Central USA is an untouched market.

Thanks guys!