Easy way to attach to multiple geometeries

Discussion related to terrain/scenery design.
simps7b2

Postby simps7b2 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:10 pm

Greetings,

I am trying to create a large amount white lights (something like runway lights). The only way I have found to do this so far is to add a bunch of small square meshes to my model and then use the AttachPointTool to create attach points for each of my little squares individually. If I click "Create new attach point" It doesn't seem to work, I click on one of my squares and nothing happens; I would expect the "Attach name" to increment if it actually created an attach point. To be specific I am using the fx_beaconwhi Effect type together with the light_nav_vis Visibility type to create the light.

I have tried selecting all the squares at once and clicking "Attach to selected geometery", but this makes the XtoMDL tool throw an error when I try to use it.

Selecting each object individually to create a matrix of runway lights takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r, could someone please give me a pointer on how to do this faster.

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks,

Ian

JRobinson

Postby JRobinson » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:09 pm

There's a script available at FSDeveloper that will attach things to any item named "Box01, Box02, Box03" etc. which might be helpful in your case. I think it's stickied at the top of the gmax/3DS max forum. I haven't used it because I'd have effects attached to every piece of geometry in my scene, I'm a neat freak in recovery, lol.

EDIT: I guess it's not stickied there anymore, this WIKI article links to it though, see "Placing the Effect using a script for multiple objects" about halfway down the page, you'll find a link to the script and some instructions for modifying it, you could make it attach effects to "Plane01, Plane02" etc. rather than boxes by editing the script for example. Also it looks like it's mandatory that you edit the script, you have to specify which effect you want to attach within the script itself. I assume you're talking about attaching in gmax/3DS Max, if not this probably wont be of much use to you:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=Apron_lighting_using_effects_and_GMax

Jim

simps7b2

Postby simps7b2 » Thu May 01, 2014 5:22 pm

Thankyou. This works perfectly. The only thing you have to change for P3d is to have the xml string start with "FSXML = ". Now I just have to figure out how to get all 10,000 of my runway lights out of the model. 32bit 3DSMax runs out of RAM at around 1,000 lights. I could try the 64 bit version, but I'm not sure that the scenery generated by the 64 bit plugins would work on P3d v1.2.

Return to “Scenery Development Questions”