Scenery Solutions

Discussion related to terrain/scenery design.
bigdixie

Scenery Solutions

Post by bigdixie »

I am new to the world of add-ons. I purchased the Toposim North America mesh package and like the look overall, but the elevations around airports, rivers, etc is all of...which is normal per what I am reading. I am considering purchasing some airport and major city sceneries here and there, but I want the rest of the airports to not look like they're in a sinkhole or on a plateau. Also, I fear that add-on sceneries would clash with the mesh scenery.

I am mostly flying in the Southeast and eastern US in general.

There has to be an easier way to do this....

Suggestions?
Max Perry
Lockheed Martin

Re: Scenery Solutions

Post by Max Perry »

Hi BigDixie, the reasons that the rivers dont blend with the terrain is because the default river features have been sloped to fit the P3D default DEM. Adding a higher resolution or even a different DEM doesn't alter the elevation values that the river thinks it should be at in the world.

Airports are a little more complicated. Because they are flat, they will never blend with the intricacies of real life terrain. In default P3D our mesh is smoothed for 1000 meters around the edge of the airports from the airports elevation which alters the more accurate 30m/90m DEM but removes the ledges/cliffs and plateaus you see.

In some cases those Plateaus are correct as the area has been engineered for an airport and there is very likely a similar cliff our process makes most airports seem to fit, and others incorrect.