Effect v2

Discussion related to terrain/scenery design.
alro

Postby alro » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:38 pm

Bonjour,

Je modélise actuellement pour FSX et P3D quelques phares situés au Royaume Uni.

Ces modèles 3D sont testés par un ami possédant les licences p3D v1.4 et v2.

Ils s'affichent correctement dans les diverses versions.

Toutefois l'effet tournant du faisceau lumineux ne s'affiche pas correctement dans la v2 alors qu'il fonctionne parfaitement dans la 1.4

Question : avez-vous une piste expliquant ce problème ?.

Cordialement

Hello,

Excuse my poor english

I currently models for FSX and P3D few lighthouses in the United Kingdom.

These 3D models are tested by a friend with the P3D License v1.4 and v2.

They appear correctly in the various versions.

However, the turning point of the light beam effect does not appear correctly in the v2 then it works perfectly in 1.4

Question: Do you track explaining this problem?.

Cordially

Alain

Channel-P3DV2-13.jpg

Channel-P3DV2-15.jpg

simmerhead

Postby simmerhead » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:25 am

WOW! What a great looking model!

Larry_R

Postby Larry_R » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:17 am

Hi Alain

I’ve been having the same or at a least very similar problem with lighthouse effects that work properly in FSX and P3D v1. Actually, I have found a number of problems with light effects, and wake effects too. (I suspect the wake issue has to do with the lack of a static water surface; the result is that the effect is referenced to the model datum). As for light effects (which I attach with Arno’s MCX), I discovered that they simply will not work if one specifies two time periods per effect as they would prior. That is DAWN=1; DUSK=1 will not work. DAWN=1 will work. However, it appears that if you specify just one time period, the effect will appear in both. So for dawn/dusk, I just use DAWN=1. Or maybe P3D v2 just does not like semicolons. :-)

And NIGHT=1; DAY=0 will not work, but just NIGHT=1 will.

But this does not seem to be the only problem. All of my simpler custom light effects work if I use the above trick, but the more complicated lighthouse effects seem only to work in some situations, like attaching them to a simple test object. These effects have a fade in fade out effect (like a real-life lighthouse), some with alternating red and white. These work intermittently in v2. I’m wondering if it might be related to a timing issue related to using a delays in the effect, especially the more complicated ones one like simulating a group flashing (3) effect. I noticed something like this in FSX, as if the sim had more important things on its mind rather than keep the light effect synchronized. (Using an effect controller did not help.) However eventually I got them all to work properly and reliably in FSX and v1.

What’s odd is that one of my most complicated lighthouse effects works quite well when attached to a ship model, but not when attached to a lighthouse bgl and I can’t figure out why. All this stuff worked prior.

And in addition, a few of my marine light effects (even stock ones) attached to docks display slightly offset from the location shown in MCX. So far, all of the misplaced light effects have been attached to an object (like a ferry terminal) right at the shoreline where the object may be referenced on land, yet the light effect is over water. However, the lights on the stock ferry dock do seem to be correctly placed, so I don’t know what the issue is!

If you get things working, I hope you will let us know.

Larry

Orbx Developer
Gigabyte GA z270x-ud5 mobo, Intel i7 7700k 4.2GHz, Corsair DDR4 3866 16 gig, Gigabyte Raedon VII, Win 10, Evo 960 NvMe 2TB FSX, P3D v3.4, v4.x

alro

Postby alro » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:09 am

Hello Larry,

Thank you for the advice, I will go and edit the xml and get tested.

I'll let you know.

Alain

PS: give me your email address so I can send you the lighthouse boat.

contact@alrocreation.fr

pierrot78

Postby pierrot78 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:21 am

Hello Alain and Larry,

looks like we're many to work on this weird problem.

I didn't investigate (yet) the wakes, splashes and all the water animation effects since I'm annoyed with the lghtbeams too.

It would be great to find a turnaround together, if the problem can be solved without a service pack from LM.

ps Alain : will you investigate about all your Phares de Bretagne which stay invisible (buildings+lightbeams) in P3Dv2?

alro

Postby alro » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:05 pm

Hello,

As regards the effects (sound and light), it would be a bug in v2 since P3D work correctly in version 1.4.

For Brittany's lighthouses invisible in v2, I must recompile bgl in "FSX". This will be done in early 2014.

Max Perry
Lockheed Martin

Postby Max Perry » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:25 pm

Alro, pierrot78, Do you have any video's created to show off the problem, v1.4 vs v2? This is a complex issue that we would like to look into more.

alro

Postby alro » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:41 am

Hi,

Two videos, the first in version 1.4, the light beam runs smoothly in the horizontal plane.

http://michel78320.free.fr/P3DV2/V1.4.mp4

or

http://michel78320.free.fr/P3DV2/V1.4.wmv

The second in the v2, the beam rotates with an odd ripple around its point of attachment???

http://michel78320.free.fr/P3DV2/V2.mp4

or

http://michel78320.free.fr/P3DV2/V2.wmv

Alain

michel78320fr

Postby michel78320fr » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:10 pm

Hi.

I have got another "big bug" : With several effects (lighthouse beam, as shown above), my GPU is going to 99%.

After a few minutes, my GPU is about 85°C (maximum is 95°C).

I do not think it is normal, and it is probably dangerous for my graphic card.

Michel

Larry_R

Postby Larry_R » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:34 pm

Hi Max,

If you would not mind input from a strict amateur, I can see if I can also make a video or two that will illustrate some of the lighting issues I’ve found. Thanks so much for looking into this! For those with an interest in maritime related stuff (not many I’ll admit) realistic lighting effects add so much.

Larry

Orbx Developer
Gigabyte GA z270x-ud5 mobo, Intel i7 7700k 4.2GHz, Corsair DDR4 3866 16 gig, Gigabyte Raedon VII, Win 10, Evo 960 NvMe 2TB FSX, P3D v3.4, v4.x

pierrot78

Postby pierrot78 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:27 am

Regarding comparison videos, I can't submit any since I never owned v1.4 :)

I could only show the effects displayed ok (but in FSX)which is of no use I guess.

The ones from Michel shown by Alain exhibit the flaw well enough.

Thx for investigating Max.

Larry_R

Postby Larry_R » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:22 pm

I've experimented a bit more and at least tentatively discovered a couple of differences in the way version 2 interprets effects compared to v1.

It turns out that my lighthouse effects, as well as the standard ORBX - Holger Sandman marine light effects do work more or less in version 2, but they don't seem to respect the Radius= setting in the fx file. At least not with the different graphics settings I tried. I had previously found that I can't use two EffectParameters separated by a semicolon as I could in version 1, like one of the presets in Arno's MCX.

The idea of these effects was to approximate the range and light characteristics (color and period) of real

lighthouses in Puget Sound.

For reference, here's what the Point Wilson effect looks like in version 1 -- hoping the videos work: Point Wilson is alt red and white, 5 seconds.

The range in P3D v1 is about 10+ km (5+ nm), and the red looks more red in the sim than it does in the video. The Radius value is set at 22000

http://youtu.be/GMIhX-1t-38

And here is a test collection of effects in version 2 same place as above, showing the lights becoming visible as the camera approaches. From left to right above the lighthouse: the same light effect as above with no EffectParameters, directly above it a standard Holger Sandman fixed red marine light, next to the right an alt red white 10 seconds used for West Point, and farthest to the right a repeat of the Wilson light but with an EffectParameter NIGHT=1. ( It works.) The range of all lights in this test and some others was quite close to 2200 meters.

Changing the range in the fx file from 22000 to 220000 or to -1 had no effect on the range in the v2. (It does in v1)

Note that the fade in fade out red - white alternating effect does not really show as it does in version 1 and also FSX.

http://youtu.be/y1yc74t2Sro

Hope this helps.

Larry
Orbx Developer

Return to “Scenery Development Questions”