Buy V1, V2 free?

For all topics that don't fit into another category. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be responded to by our development team.
Erikk

Postby Erikk » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:16 pm

Hi,

I want to buy the academic version of P3D, the only thing that I want know is if I buy this version, will I get P3D v2 with the many updates as a free update?

And is there any news about when Prepare3D version 2 will release?

Regards,

Erik

Legacy Support

Postby Legacy Support » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:20 pm

Moving Topic.....

Edit.... There will be no upgrade pricing for the Academic Version. The upgrade price is for the Professional Version only.

No news on V2.0 as per other posts.

Additional information in my post below this one. Don't get confused by my wording.... the above means that major updates for the Academic version will need to be purchased, upgrade pricing is not available for the Academic version. If you purchased the Academic license, you will get free point updates, not free major versions.

Erikk

Postby Erikk » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:23 pm

Oke thank you.

fischerbast

Postby fischerbast » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:36 pm

John,

why this different treatment - This is completely inacceptable and is not documented anywhere. Not in your EULA http://www.prepar3d.com/support/end-user-license-agreement-eula/ and not in your product comparaison chart http://www.prepar3d.com/prepar3d-license-comparison/ .

There is no word of this different treatment and I'm sure that many will under those condition not choose the professional version, will simply delay any 1.3 license purchase, those who still can, will simply return the Professional License, move to XP10 or simply remain with FSX until the P3D is fully developped and the shortcomings fixed.

All of the community - Professionals, Academics, Developers - are looking forward to get clarity on this very important point.

I hope this is a misunderstanding and that ALL of your early adopters and supporters will benefit from the same "No Upgrade Pricing" policy going forward to the next versions.

Best regards

Bastian

FSMP

Postby FSMP » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:57 pm

Quote:

Quote from Erikk on April 4, 2012, 14:16

Hi,

I want to buy the academic version of P3D, the only thing that I want know is if I buy this version, will I get P3D v2 with the many updates as a free update?

And is there any news about when Prepare3D version 2 will release?

Regards,

Erik

Chances are, by the time the next Major release cones out (2.0), you shoudn't qualify for the Academic version anymore. :D

As a purchaser of P3D, I would say -- "If you really want it, you will find a way to pay for it."

Maybe one of the more important things you will learn, while in you "adademic" status, is that very few thing in life are really "FREE" ... and most people, if they really want something, have to work to get it, or make some other sacrifice.

(like not getting the latest Iphone, every time one is released, or skipping a few "pig outs" at your local fast food joint.)

Does not take skipping many "Happy Meals" to save for a license or an update .

If you really "need" FREE -- maybe you should be considering MS FLIGHT !!!

Sorry -- maybe Lockheed cannot be so blunt, but it is getting really old, reading post from people complaning about the already reduced cost of P3D. For what you are getting -- it's a BARGAIN !!

Geoff

FSMP

Postby FSMP » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:01 pm

Quote:

Quote from fischerbast on April 4, 2012, 16:36

John,

why this different treatment - This is completely inacceptable and is not documented anywhere. Not in your EULA http://www.prepar3d.com/support/end-user-license-agreement-eula/ and not in your product comparaison chart http://www.prepar3d.com/prepar3d-license-comparison/ .

There is no word of this different treatment and I'm sure that many will under those condition not choose the professional version, will simply delay any 1.3 license purchase, those who still can, will simply return the Professional License, move to XP10 or simply remain with FSX until the P3D is fully developped and the shortcomings fixed.

All of the community - Professionals, Academics, Developers - are looking forward to get clarity on this very important point.

I hope this is a misunderstanding and that ALL of your early adopters and supporters will benefit from the same "No Upgrade Pricing" policy going forward to the next versions.

Best regards

Bastian

{sigh} Now I am 100% convinced I could never do John's job here in the forum. ;)

BrandonF

Postby BrandonF » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:42 pm

Quote:

Quote from John Nicol on April 4, 2012, 15:20

Moving Topic.....

Edit.... There will be no upgrade pricing for the Academic Version. The upgrade price is for the Professional Version only.

No news on V2.0 as per other posts.

That's it, I WILL buy P3D ASAP. :D
Brandon Filer
3D Modeler, Graphic Artist, and UI Programmer
Intel i7 7700K (4.20GHz), ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti OC, 64 GB RAM, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

fischerbast

Postby fischerbast » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:59 pm

Geoff,

we are all passionate about flying, extremely pleased of LM investing into P3D and moving P3D towards the next sustainable simulator platform. We are all committed to support, to test, to provide feedback to crowd source ideas etc...and dedicate our time and budget to purchase the P3D license.

Real world Flying, as well as serious/professional Simulator-Flying has never been free and it has never been compared to games - this is not the point.

The point is, that at the beginning of every product launch the product release cycles are much shorter, significant development is "under the hood" to fix obsolete designs and to re-platform to current hardware and software. Therefore products are released in shorter periods.

The short cycles of P3D 1.1, P3D 1.2, P3D 1.3 is a confirmation of this fact. It is also obvious and a fact that there is still lot to do in P3D 1.3 to get it up to current HW & SW standards. LM is doing a great job of providing those updates in a 6 month window and free of charge until now.

It is best for us existing customers (and future clients) to know the policies of upgrades as well as the fee/costs - especially since the approach seams to differ from the previous business upgrade practices and seams to be the first time LM is charging for an upgrade.

Requesting this clarification is also part of our business and John is doing a great job in getting all of this information to us, of being transparent and very open and responsive to the eco-system in the forum (within the policy boundaries of any large corporation being subject to SOX, to RevRec etc....)

Thank you John and looking forward to your feedback on the Upgrade Policy for professional licenses.

Legacy Support

Postby Legacy Support » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:38 pm

Quote:

Quote from fischerbast on April 4, 2012, 16:36

Bastian,

It is unfortunate that you feel this way however, actually we have been consistent with our messaging since we released Prepar3D that there will be an upgrade price for major versions for the Professional/Commercial-Use version. This is absolutely consistent with commercial simulation applications and actually many software applications including Microsoft Office, CAD applications and so on. Indeed to be fully consistent we should be charging support and maintenance fees on an annual basis for companies and individuals to actually be eligible for point releases as well. We decided not to do that as a business decision and as a business we are providing our software for academic use at a very reasonable price. I point out to those eligible for academic use that have previously purchased FSX or XP, that at no point have there been free upgrades between major versions, so cannot understand the anger directed against us.

People all over the world continue to experience and use Prepar3D and hope that you will do so as well.

I have stated in the past and I will state again. The upgrade pricing has yet to be worked through the business and we are still a ways off from release of Version 2.0, so we will be making an announcement when we are able to about this price. It is for the Professional version only.

There will be no upgrade price for the Academic version, major releases will need to be purchased, (i.e. you would need to buy version 2.0, 3.0 etc and I hope that this was how my last post was read BTW and perhaps that is why you are angry by misunderstanding my post) however those users will continue to get free access to updates as point releases when they are available. Again this is consistent with normal industry practice. Developers continue to get access to the most recent versions for the same subscription price.

Regards,

John

Ray

Postby Ray » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:57 am

Sounds pretty fair to me.

Ray

Erikk

Postby Erikk » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:37 am

And will there come an cheaper version of Prepare3D v2? Or will it cost $500 dollar or something like that?

Legacy Support

Postby Legacy Support » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:09 am

The price is expected to remain the same.

cassis87

Postby cassis87 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:50 pm

I don't mind paying 49 USD for the 2.0 as I would for a new version of Word or Excel....(and Word or excel are NOT for fun believe me...) ;)

keithb77

Postby keithb77 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:34 pm

John,

can you confirm that version 1.x licenses will still be valid when v2 is released?

Thanks

Keith

Legacy Support

Postby Legacy Support » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:44 pm

Hi Keith,

Yes they will remain valid.

Regards,

John

Return to “Miscellaneous”