Piper Cub Problem in P3Dv3.4

For all topics that don't fit into another category. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be responded to by our development team.
Ike Kant

Piper Cub Problem in P3Dv3.4

Postby Ike Kant » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:17 am

The default Piper Cub turns hard left while taxiing and takeoff. I thought the problem would go away when I upgraded from P3Dv3.1 to 3.4 today but no luck. Is there a fix for this?

Blaunarwal

Re: Piper Cub Problem in P3Dv3.4

Postby Blaunarwal » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:53 am

It seems your rudder may be trimmed wrong or your stick is not calibrated. There's a command to center rudder trim. Check in the controls section, search for trim or rudder. Also calibrate your stick, inside P3D3 and in Windows.

Regards

Dan
i7- 9700K @ 5.0 GHz, 32 GB DDR-4 SDRAM, ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F, KFA2 RTX2080 Super Ex 8GB

JorgenSA

Postby JorgenSA » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:03 am

Ike,

I had this issue years ago, and it turned out that my joystick at that time was kaput.

Jorgen
System: i7-7700K @ 4.66 GHz, ASUS Z170-A motherboard, 16 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM, nVidia GTX 960 w/ 4 GB DDR5 VRAM, Windows 10 Home.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.

Blaunarwal

Postby Blaunarwal » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:35 pm

Half an hour ago I tried the Flight Replicas Zlin 526F in P3D5.1 and it was not flyable. On the runway it began to roll as if it was too light. So something changed in flight dynamics from 4.5 to 5. The aircraft however was for FSX but I have a few, which are still flyable.
So long story short, it could be the plane itself. But in case of a default plane of course not.
i7- 9700K @ 5.0 GHz, 32 GB DDR-4 SDRAM, ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F, KFA2 RTX2080 Super Ex 8GB

Ike Kant

Postby Ike Kant » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:41 am

The stick is fine. I even tried it with a CH yoke. Calibration is always checked as part of my run-up. The trim is neutral. All of my many other planes work as expected with these controls. The problem is with the default LM Piper Cub. Back in 2016 when I bought my Jetline Systems GT2 the plane was okay for a while. Then later it began to exhibit the severe left turn problem. It's more of an aileron roll to the left than a rudder malfunction. The plane actually tries to do an aileron roll on the ground! It's the dumbest thing I ever saw a flight sim plane do. I was just curious if anyone else had this happen in P3Dv3 and if there was a way to fix this otherwise well beautiful airplane.

Blaunarwal

Postby Blaunarwal » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:15 am

I probably never used the default Cub in P3D3. The behaviour is exactly like the Zlin I tried to use yesterday, but I have P3D5.1.
Did you try to start the sim with the default plane first and then change to the Cub? I started my sim with the Justflight C152. Since this is a plane with some coding, it could influence planes loaded afterwards.

Dan

Martyson

Postby Martyson » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:18 am

The default Piper Cub turns hard left while taxiing and takeoff. I thought the problem would go away when I upgraded from P3Dv3.1 to 3.4 today but no luck. Is there a fix for this?
@ Ike Kant ,
Piper test p3d51
Taxi, takeoff video for your review and compare with your P3Dv3 problem

https://youtu.be/mDsr8q5SnJY
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

Ike Kant

Postby Ike Kant » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:17 pm

I tried bringing up the default scenario and changing to the Cub. It didn't help.

Martyson's video was exactly what I have been experiencing. I'm surprised that LM has let this go for so long. I didn't realize that if you wait long enough the plane will eventually climb. It actually flew quite well once in the air. I even did a perfect bounce-less three point landing but when trying to take off again it went crazy.

I then tried setting the last four lines of the aircraft.cfg flight tuning section to 0.0. This has helped other planes but had no effect on the Cub.

As an aside, my late father-in-law had a good Piper cub story. He used the GI Bill to finance his flight training after WWII. His instructional hours were on various tail-wheel high wings. For his solo he had to fly a Cub. He was well aware of the need to land at exactly the right speed or the plane would bounce, bounce, bounce down the runway. If that happened you had to put in full throttle and go around. But on his three solo landings he was flawless - no bounce. When he got out of the plane his instructor said: "Mort, you'll never do that again." And he didn't. For his first airplane Mort purchased a Piper Pacer but didn't like the way it always wanted to ground loop. He replaced it with a Tri-Pacer and all was well in the world.

Blaunarwal

Postby Blaunarwal » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:15 am

I had another idea. Realism settings, like torque or P-factor. Switch all off and voila, i can fly it.

If you´re interested in the super cub, there´s a free one here: http://www.flight-replicas.com/SuperCubv5.htm

Dan

Ike Kant

Postby Ike Kant » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:20 pm

With the last four code lines of the aircraft.cfg flight tuning set to 0.0 and the realism settings at about 30% I was able to get the cub to behave. Above that the plane still went crazy on the ground. I'd rather not mess with my realism settings so the LM Piper Cub goes back to the backup drive again. I am content with the Flight Replicas Cub. I can't use the above mentioned freeware version as I am still resisting upgrading to P3Dv5.1.

Martyson

Postby Martyson » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:59 pm

With the last four code lines of the aircraft.cfg flight tuning set to 0.0 and the realism settings at about 30% I was able to get the cub to behave. Above that the plane still went crazy on the ground. I'd rather not mess with my realism settings so the LM Piper Cub goes back to the backup drive again. I am content with the Flight Replicas Cub. I can't use the above mentioned freeware version as I am still resisting upgrading to P3Dv5.1.
@ Ike Kant ,

For each flight you could have Easy, Medium, Hard global settings or your own Custom settings.
No need to change any data in the LM P3D files.

Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

Return to “Miscellaneous”