Mouse Pointer in VR

For all topics that don't fit into another category. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be responded to by our development team.
TazX

Mouse Pointer in VR

Postby TazX » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:39 am

Hi,

I know it has been asked kind of frequently but without any real answers/ options (maybe because there aren't). So any personal experiences from you would be MOST welcome.

Is there a ways to change the mouse pointer in VR? I thought maybe there was a chance to change an .ico or .ani, but it seems to be hard coded.

Is it possible to at least change its size?

What about its hover color? The hover color change is very subtle.

Switch interaction with mouse its one of the most important issues I am facing right now in VR native (don't want to go back to FlyInside).

Any help will be most appreciated.

Thank you.

JorgenSA

Re: Mouse Pointer in VR

Postby JorgenSA » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:19 am

I do not have VR, so I don't know if the cursor actually can be changed there. The only place I know of where you can change the cursor is under Windows itself.

Jorgen
System: i7-7700K @ 4.66 GHz, ASUS Z170-A motherboard, 16 GB of 2133 MHz DDR4 RAM, nVidia GTX 960 graphics w/ 4 GB DDR5 VRAM, Thrustmaster HOTAS-X, Windows 10 Home

TazX

Postby TazX » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:30 pm

Thank you Jorgen. Yep, I can change the cursor in 2D (VC) without problem. The issue is with the VR cursor represented by a sphere.

ariachris56

Postby ariachris56 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:01 am

Have you changed?

TazX

Postby TazX » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:58 pm

Nope, it must be hardcoded within virtualreality.dll or something like it.

Its not impossible to work with the sphere, its just harder specially on tubes like the A320 due to button/ switch size within the cockpit. I either need: (i) more accuracy with stronger snaps to switches and/ or (ii) a smaller cursor (sphere) with higher hovering contrast.

Other choices I have is to find a way to develop my own VR 3D cursor or a Leap Motion integration (not easy) ... I have some ideas for the first one ... we'll see.

TazX

Postby TazX » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:20 am

Just a quick update, I was able to find out the pixel shader for the VR mouse with 3DMigoto. Now lets see if I can change shape and/ or color ...

Return to “Miscellaneous”