Oculus Rift s VR and P3DV4.5

For all topics that don't fit into another category. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be responded to by our development team.
golfacce2

Oculus Rift s VR and P3DV4.5

Postby golfacce2 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:30 am

Has anyone been successful in using the Oculus Rift s VR headset to fly P3DV4.5 flight simulations?

If yes, what steps need to be accomplished with Oculus Rift s setup?

Thanks,

Bob
Golfacce@aol.com

ronh991

Re: Oculus Rift s VR and P3DV4.5

Postby ronh991 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:08 pm

Unfortunately P3D v4.5 does not have a very intuitive application of VR. Using gaze and setting a joystick button allows me to turn lights on an off, but that's about it. I tried to raise lower flaps but only got them to go down. Not up. This is with my favourite third party aircraft. Can't even use the hand controllers.

I have had success with fly inside application that allows you to use the oculus hand controllers. And drag levers turn dials etc. Works well. If you don't use fly inside, then all your switches and levers need to be mapped to. Buttons on your joystick, trying to press a key on a keyboard with goggles on is not going to work.

LM please provide a better and more elaborate explanation on how to use P3D with the oculus rift. One sentence about gaze HMD key controls is not very helpful thanks.

To answer your question, what does not work when you use the VR menu item in P3D? Make sure oculus has been set to allows third party applications.

Good luck.
Ron

Aspiring Prepar3d beta tester

JoeVarco

Postby JoeVarco » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:12 am

In order to use Oculus Rift you have to install Steam VR. Setup your Rift as you normally would, install steam and Steam VR and presto, it works. Hand controls don't work, but you get a white dot that allows you to interact with anything that requires manipulation.

raypiggott

Postby raypiggott » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:20 pm

I fly exclusively in VR with a Rift S and the native P3d 4.5 VR. I don't use Steam.
Make sure that your Oculus Home software is running before booting up P3D.
I use FSUIPC to allocate axes and buttons and once these are committed to memory it all works well. The mouse pointer can be used to control anything that is not set through FSUPIC. I find that a trackball is better than a mouse.
I use a Honeycomb yoke, Saitek throttle quadrant and addition buttons bought from Ebay.
I have Flyinside but do not use it as it messes with some P3D settings and I don't find it easy to use.

If P3D would only include a way to import windows (checklists etc) from the desktop - as Flyinside does - life would be perfect.

golfacce2

Postby golfacce2 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:29 am

Thanks for the inputs, guys. Really appreciate the help. I think that LM has some homework to do to make VR a really viable part of its platform. It's obvious that VR is the wave of future flight sim... not quit there yet, but we're close.

Golfacce2@aol.com

Return to “Miscellaneous”